Skip to main content
Topic: Hairpins (Read 2667 times) previous topic - next topic

Hairpins

I am looking for help in getting those hairpins to behave satisfactorily.

I found this topic from 10 years ago.
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6446.msg45412#msg45412

Have there been any new tricks or tools discovered? I've tried using an invisible muted grace note and that helps sometimes. Not always, like when I want a new hairpin after a whole note to show a crescendo on the note moving into a new dynamic range.

Thanks

Re: Hairpins

Reply #1
The current version of NWC has the hairpins built in--look for them on your toolbars.  Select the notes to be under a hairpin, then click on the appropriate one.  The hairpin will be at the same location on the staff as the last dynamic marking.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #2
I am looking for help in getting those hairpins to behave satisfactorily.

I found this topic from 10 years ago.
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6446.msg45412#msg45412

Have there been any new tricks or tools discovered? I've tried using an invisible muted grace note and that helps sometimes. Not always, like when I want a new hairpin after a whole note to show a crescendo on the note moving into a new dynamic range.

Thanks
It would help to see a score snippet with hairpins that is not showing as you would like. In addition to using hidden muted grace notes (or grace rests), I've also had some luck by inserting spacers in a staff.

But then again, if you are not worried about the hairpin playing, you can always use this.

Reply #3
Need to have supper first. It’s the side by side location not the horizontal one that’s the issue.

Thanks

Reply #4
I figured out how to get the hairpin on the Alto and Bass "bring" by using a hidden grace note. I'm just wondering if there is a different approach for making it smaller.

Thanks,

Reply #5
This is what I meant by using spacers. I've duplicated your two staves to get a feel for what you are trying to do, since spacers work differently when there are multiple staves present. As you can see in my example, I have inserted 3 spacers: between the note and the dynamic, the dynamic and the hidden grace note, and between the hidden grace note and the ending bar line. You might not need all three, but if you experiment with their sizes, you can see that they interact and each have their own influence on the hairpin's appearance. Note that they will look different in edit mode versus view/print preview modes.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.751)
|Editor|ActiveStaff:2|CaretIndex:1|CaretPos:7
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2018 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Standard Rules|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"bring. Glo-ry! Glo-ry!\n"
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:10.5
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-2^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:14|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Standard Rules|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"bring.\n"
|Dynamic|Style:mf|Pos:7|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:-5|Opts:Crescendo
|Spacer|Width:425
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:8
|Spacer|Width:450
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:-5|Visibility:Never
|Spacer|Width:350
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Reply #6
Thanks, Mike.

Is it important to have a hidden dynamic at the beginning of the hairpin? Is it enough to have a previous dynamic a measure or two earlier?

Reply #7
I only put the hidden dynamic there to position the hairpin. I think you had an earlier one in your score to do that. You have already figured out that hairpins get their vertical position from the most recent dynamic. Sometimes I will insert hidden dynamics if I need to shift the hairpins up or down a bit.

Reply #8
Yes, I use hidden ones all the time for shifting positions. Thanks for your help. I have only just started using the insert tool to help with positioning items. I don't always think about using it.