Skip to main content
Topic: Printing to PDF  (Read 3154 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing to PDF

I’m having issues with this new computer. On my other I had installed cute PDF writer and used that to create PDFs of scores. On my new computer I installed that PDF program and am not getting a dialogue box to save anywhere and so am not getting any PDFs. 😫

Can anyone help or is there another free program that I could be using? I just downloaded open office today because I needed something on this computer other that notepad! I’d love to combine PDFs into one document so I can include program notes and a biography.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Printing to PDF

Reply #1
What operating system?  Windows 10?

Reply #2
I'm assuming that since you have a new computer, it is probably running Windows 10, but for NWC to print to PDF, the steps should be the same regardless of what version of Windows you have.
  • Install your PDF generation program (which you have already done)
  • While running NWC, go to File > Printer Setup..., and choose the PDF driver from the dropdown list.
  • Open a score, then go to File > Print... and click OK. It should prompt you as it did before.
Let me know if that didn't work, and what you did or didn't see when you went to Printer Setup or Print.

Reply #3
That’s what I’ve done and nothing happens. Just nothing. On my other computer a box would pop up asking for a save to  location.

Yes, it is Windows 10.

Reply #4
Two thoughts:
a: the version of cutePDF is problematic with W10
b: try something else - I use PDF Creator but I don't use W10

Also, I thought W10 had a native PDF printer, or was that Office?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
I use PDFreDirect, which does everything you've asked for very nicely and is free. I don't know if it works with W10, though (I use 8.1).

Reply #6
I also use PDFCreator, with Windows 10, and it seems to work fine. I use it primarily to create custom-sized PDF files that match the aspect ratio of various tablets (Android, iPad, Surface Pro), which we use in our choir.

Reply #7
CutePDF Writer (version 3.2.0.1) works for me in Windows 10, but you sometimes have to wait a while for the box to appear.

Reply #8
Thank you everyone. I have downloaded the free version of PDF creator and I am able to get single documents but I cannot get the Merge feature to work and I would like to include a bio and a cover page. I am submitting some composition to a contest!

Reply #9
Thank you everyone. I have downloaded the free version of PDF creator and I am able to get single documents but I cannot get the Merge feature to work and I would like to include a bio and a cover page. I am submitting some composition to a contest!

First thing:  If "nothing happens" when you press the button to print as you said in an earlier post, the dialogue might be hiding behind some open window.  Check your task bar.

Merging with PDFcreator is fairly easy and I have done it myself several times.

Print BIO to PDF but press MERGE rather than save.  DO NOT PRESS CONTINUE but go on to print the next document
Print your COVER PAGE: this will go automatically to the merge group.  DO NOT PRESS CONTINUE but go on to print the next document
Print your NWC score: again this will go directly to the merge group
If you are ready, PRESS CONTINUE and continue with the usual dialogue as if you are printing a normal file.

Save the (combined) file to whatever location and with whatever name you desire.

Note that this way you can print a mixture of documents from different sources (eg text, pictures, spreadsheet and, of course, NWC)

Hope that this works for your needs.

Reply #10
 :D Melismata, I wish I could like those instructions more than once!!  :D

Thank you so much for clarifying the procedure. I now have a score complete with cover page, program notes, and bio!! It’s a thing of great beauty.

Thank you again to all those who quickly offered suggestions along the way. This is a wonderful support group for engravers and composers.