Skip to main content
Topic: Glissando.ms (2.7) (Read 25105 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Glissando.ms (2.3)

Reply #50
Using glissando with a play mode different from pitch bend it is now necessary to mute the first (left) note.
But see what happens in this case:
(snip)
Possible solution: adding a note off of the starting note before starting the glissato. (positive side effect: no need to mute any note, an annoying task)

More: what if the glissato needs to be the whole length of the tied first notes?
The problem here is caused by the tie. You can't properly mute the tied-into note, because that will suppress its note-off, and you get a hanging note. (I am not certain why you muted the tied-from note; I would think you want that to sound.)

The easy solution for this would be to insert a hidden (but not muted) grace note of the same pitch between the whole and quarter notes, and mute the starting note of the glissando, but not the whole note:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Instrument|Name:"Alto Sax"|Patch:65|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:8|Wide:Y
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:4^
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:4|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:4|Opts:Muted
|User|Glissando.ms|Pos:-4|Playback:Chromatic
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
To me, this sounds correct.

Reply #51
As posted earlier, I think the correct solution is to always mute the left note on a pitch bend glissando, unless that is a tied-into note. In that circumstance, a hidden grace note should work.

Reply #52
I am not certain why you muted the tied-from note; I would think you want that to sound.
Me too, but if that note is unmuted, that note (F5) stops sounding when the glissando is already at G4, overlapping part ot the glissando.
Code: [Select · Download]
Note On: F5, Velocity: 110
Note On: E5, Velocity: 110
Note On: E5, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: Eb5, Velocity: 110
Note On: Eb5, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: D5, Velocity: 110
Note On: D5, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: Db5, Velocity: 110
Note On: Db5, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: C5, Velocity: 110
Note On: C5, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: B4, Velocity: 110
Note On: B4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: Bb4, Velocity: 110
Note On: Bb4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: A4, Velocity: 110
Note On: A4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: Ab4, Velocity: 110
Note On: Ab4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: G4, Velocity: 110
Note On: F5, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: G4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: F#4, Velocity: 110
Note On: F#4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: F4, Velocity: 110
Note On: F4, Velocity: 0 = Off
Note On: E4, Velocity: 110
Note On: E4, Velocity: 0 = Off

Reply #53
Was that MIDI stream created with the version that contains the grace note? The unmuted grace note should generate a Note Off for the F5.

Reply #55
The odd effect I have is voice related since the MIDI gets note-off and immediately "pitch bend = 0".
My synth sax seems to need about 50 ticks to stop the note.
It all depends on the release time of the voice!

Reply #56
There is some code in the object (supplied by @NoteWorthy Online ) that says it is playing muted notes, which I don't quite understand. Perhaps it is supposed to make sure there are properly paired Note On and Note Off events that extend through the pitch bend.

Those sax players, always behind the beat! :)

Reply #57
Sorry for having mixed different problems.

The problem with the pitch bend arises because there is a big difference in the two cases:
in a case the bending starts from 0 and goes to target, then quickly returns to 0 while the note is still somehow sounding (release time). This is quite difficult to manage.
In the other case the bendings starts from target and ends to 0, so the playing can continue normally.

For the other problems I need to think more, and here is bed time. I already said too many stupid things for today.  ;D

Re: Glissando.ms (2.4)

Reply #58
The Glissando.ms object has been updated to version 2.4, with the following changes:
  • Many changes to playback code, graciously provided by @Flurmy . Effective with these changes, glissando playback now works best with both the leading and trailing notes muted. The object attempts to detect clef changes, ties across bar lines and other conditions which may have not been handled correctly in previous versions. The standard disclaimer remains that for certain score situations, it may be desirable to disable the object's playback and use a hidden staff.

Re: Glissando.ms (2.5)

Reply #59
The Glissando.ms object has been updated to version 2.5 by @Flurmy, with the following changes:
  • Playback for tied left notes was not handled properly and has been fixed.
  • Handling of several special cases, including a glissando at the end of the score and terminating on (muted/unmuted) grace notes, is now implemented.

Re: Glissando.ms (2.6)

Reply #60
The Glissando.ms object has been updated to version 2.6 by @Flurmy, with the following changes:
  • A new glissando playback type of "Harp" has been added.
  • Corrected playback for the last note in non-pitchbend modes  when the note is muted and there is a clef change.

Re: Glissando.ms (2.7)

Reply #61
The Glissando.ms object has been updated to version 2.7 by @Flurmy, with the following changes:
  • Bug fix to the new Harp playback mode.