Skip to main content
Topic: new computer recommendations (Read 3594 times) previous topic - next topic

new computer recommendations

My 8 year old lap top is slowly gasping out its last breaths and I have decision paralysis.

Any recommendations? For me it's like buying a new car...they all look nice and shiny.

Thanks
SEBC

Re: new computer recommendations

Reply #1
Since you are asking in this forum, I assume you will want to run NWC on it, so you probably want a system running Windows - although I believe that some users here may have success running on other operating systems using an "emulator" such as Wine (and yes, I know that Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator")  Anyway... when I am shopping for a new computer, I generally decide up front how much money I am willing to spend, and then I try to get the absolute best system I can for that amount, from the vendors I am willing to buy from. I generally don't buy computers that often, so I try to buy at the top end of the capabilities curve so it will take slightly longer to become obsolete, than if I bought something that was merely decent today.

Does that make any sense?

Reply #2
Well I don’t really know anything about emulators. Or computers. Other than how to use them. And sometimes that’s a bit sketchy too.

Now that I think of it, I’ve never actually picked out a computer. I’ve always left it to others. I feel the same about cars. Is it easy to park? Does it have heated seats? Ok, I’m good then.

For computer, I want it to be fast and reliable. Kind of like a car.

Portable is good too. But I think my laptop is bothering my shoulders and back because I’m using it as a desktop since the battery is toast and the power cord keeps falling out.

Reply #3
But I think my laptop is bothering my shoulders and back because I’m using it as a desktop since the battery is toast and the power cord keeps falling out.

Buy a new battery? Not that cheap - but cheaper than a new laptop, and does not need new setup, new learning curve, new whatever ... if you can live with the old one some more time.

H.M.

Reply #4
 It’s actually the battery connection that is broken so it does not recognize the new battery that I bought for it, not knowing the issue. I have been putting up with it for years this way. Now there are certain keys that don’t seem to want to work anymore on the keyboard, for example the home key doesn’t work which is annoying when working on scores. Is there a keyboard shortcut for that?

When I start up the computer I get the blue screen of death and have to go through quite a process to get windows up and running. It makes me nervous and I try to back up my work every time I use it.

Reply #5
I see very often (and I do this myself at work) that people buys a laptop computer and then for 90% of the time uses it like a desktop one.
With this I mean: with a big and clear screen, a comfortable keyboard and a normal mouse.
But in the relatively rare cases when you need to use your computer elsewere then it's ready to move.
And what's more: you automatically have an UPS!  :D

Reply #6
This might help.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/computers/buying-guide/index.htm

If you use a Windows machine, you'll probably end up with Windows 10.  It takes a little getting use to, but seems to be fine.  The ugly graphics can be avoided with a little manipulation.

For a desktop, instead of buying a brand name from a large retailer, you might consider going to your neighbourhood computer store.  They can probably sell you a desktop they've assembled in-store, and may add goodies you don't get from the name brands.  It may be cheaper than the name brands too, and if it needs servicing, well, they're there for you.

If you decide on a laptop, get a docking station with it, as well as an external ergonomic keyboard, as big a flat-screen monitor as you can afford, and a decent wireless mouse.  Don't cheap out on the screen; I did that a couple of weeks ago and had to take it back because it hurt my eyes.

Reply #7
Well, guess what arrived in the mail today? My spouse decided to make the decision for me for my birthday. There’s no CD drive so how will I get NWC up and running??

Reply #8
There’s no CD drive so how will I get NWC up and running??
Get a small DVD reader/burner. LG makes a good one for $20 - $30
It is a useful thing for when you AV system decides it won't play a DVD.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
It is also possible to install NWC from a downloaded file, without using optical media. Alternately, if you have your installation CD, you can pop it in another computer and copy the necessary files to a thumb drive and install them from that (I assume your new computer has USB ports :) )

Reply #10
We ended up getting an  external CD drive and I’m finally up and running again!