Skip to main content
Topic: Convert Violin score to Viola score? (Read 6857 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert Violin score to Viola score?

I'm sure that this is dead easy, but darned if I can figure it out.

Say I have 4 violin notes on a staff (Treble)... G D A E ( the open strings on a violin).
I want to convert the staff to the equivalent on a Viola... C G D A with an Alto clef.

thanks from an OLD newbie  :)
Don

Re: Convert Violin score to Viola score?

Reply #1
(1) Select the four notes (place the cursor at the left end, hold down the <shift> key, and press the <end> key).
(2) Hold down the <shift> and <control> keys together, and press the <up> arrow twice.
(3) Change the clef from treble to alto. The easiest way to do this is to put the cursor directly to the right of the clef, backspace once (to erase the old clef) and use the Clef Selector toolbar button to enter the new clef; however, you can also select the clef, press <alt><enter>, and use the Properties dialogue box to change the clef type.

That's really all there is to it, for any set of notes. You don't have to change any accidentals, or worry about enharmonic spelling, because the actual notes don't change - just their positions relative to the five lines of the staff.

Reply #2
You will be moving middle C from one line below the staff to the middle line.  In step (2), press the <up> arrow six times.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies  :)

William's solution gives the result that I wanted... 2 Ups.
Warren's keeps the note values the same, but in a different Clef. I'll keep that in mind too, as that will be handy.

Reply #4
Warren, you're correct for the general case. In Don's case, he wanted to change from the open strings of the violin to the open strings of the viola. The bottom string on the viola is the C below middle C; the bottom string on the violin is G below middle C. Two steps up is the proper number to move a G in treble clef to a C in alto clef.

Reply #5
I'm surprised a user tool hasn't been created to do these types of transpositions.

Reply #7
Actually, it was a sort of "rhetorical statement". I suspected that one or more tools HAD been created for this, but at the time I made the post, I didn't have the time to research it. Maybe I should have said I was surprised that no one suggested using a user tool - probably because of the Violin -> Viola conversion, plus it was probably overkill for this particular request.

Reply #8
In addition to moving the notes, a clef change is involved.  Move the notes up six positions then transpose down 7 half-steps,  This will put notes in their proper places as well as subtract a sharp or add a flat.

Edit: change 'key' to 'clef' in first sentence.
Since 1998

Reply #9
Warren, no. If you're just changing the same score from violin to viola, there's no key change. All you are doing is moving the notes to different positions on the staff. Violin and viola music uses different clefs, not different keys. Using the transposition tool is not only unnecessary, it's counterproductive. It will introduce an unwanted key change. Select the notes and use <control><shift>.

The OP here asked for a representation of open strings on each instrument. Don't complicate the issue by assuming he also wants a key change from G to C.

Reply #10
The OP here asked for a representation of open strings on each instrument. Don't complicate the issue by assuming he also wants a key change from G to C.
Actually, I find the OP's original post to be somewhat unclear too.

I know Don has responded stating that your solution gives him the result he wanted, but I still don't see how you came to that conclusion as his request is very imprecise to my mind.

If it was as simple as a representation of open viola strings, why bother converting from a violin staff?  It's only 4 notes, surely it would have been much easier to just create an alto staff and put 4 notes on it in the appropriate places?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.