Skip to main content
Topic: Fixing Transposition Playback Issues (Read 5917 times) previous topic - next topic

Fixing Transposition Playback Issues

I am working on updating an older arrangement and I noticed that the concert pitch playback is off by 2 semitones. I must have messed it up when I was transposing originally with that box about playback staying the same or not. It was some time ago and I don't remember anymore what key I came from.

I figured out how to fix it and will list the steps for anyone else who searches the forum for this answer:

1. Determine what key your piece is playing back in, as opposed to what key it is written in.
2. Calculate how many semitones higher or lower that is from the key that it is written in.
3. Transpose your piece either up or down to the key that it is playing back in (using the above semi-tone calculation), BUT KEEP THE "Update staff playback transposition" BOX CHECKED!!
4. Now, transpose it back to the original key that you want, but this time keep the "Update staff playback transposition" box UNCHECKED!!

The result should be that your piece is playing back at the pitch you see written on the score.

I figured this out all by myself. It may be obvious to others, but it wasn't to me! That pesky box has got me in trouble before. Sometimes I do numerous transpositions when deciding on the correct key for an arrangement or composition.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE BOX.

LISTEN TO YOUR TRANSPOSITION RESULTS.

One more helpful tip for unraveling this mess: Alt+T+T will get you to the transpose box without the mouse.

I hope this helps those of you lost in the tangle of transposition playback! If there is an alternate way to do this, please comment below. Thanks!

Re: Fixing Transposition Playback Issues

Reply #1
There may be an easier way to fix your score. Try the following steps on a copy of the score that is playing in the wrong pitch:

1. Open Staff Properties, and go to the Instrument tab.
2. Look at the value in the Transposition box. It indicates the number of semitones that the staff is currently being transposed.
3. If the value is not 0, that will explain your pitch shift. Set it to 0 and press OK.

That's it! (You will need to repeat this for each staff in your score).

As a note, when you are doing a staff transpose, the above field is either updated or not updated, depending on whether the "Update staff playback transposition" is checked or unchecked.

Please let me know if the above makes sense.

Reply #2
1. Open Staff Properties, and go to the Instrument tab.
2. Look at the value in the Transposition box. It indicates the number of semitones that the staff is currently being transposed.
Or press R for Score Review and see the transposition for each of the staves at once.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Or press R for Score Review and see the transposition for each of the staves at once.

You still have to fix each staff independently, but you can go directly to any offending staff by either right-clicking or double-clicking on it in the score review box and choosing "Staff Properties..." (right-click and double-click take you to the same pop-up menu).

An aside: are Rick and I the only ones who use Score Review? I rarely or never see it mentioned in other people's posts.

Reply #4
... are Rick and I the only ones who use Score Review?...
Well, I don't use it - but I wouldn't know what for. The mention above is the first time I saw a useful application - but my transpositions dont get mixed up ... MIDI/instrument assignments and, most of the time, muting remain totally fixed for my scores; visibility can be seen in the Contents tab; bar count - what for? Thus, I don't seem to have any use for it. What do I miss? - enlighten me (and us) :)

H.M.

Reply #5
You guys are killing me! I was so excited to have finally figured out something on my own  without having asked for help in the first place!

I did try Mike’s method on another score and it was so simple that I cried.

What else can you teach me to do faster? 🤓

Reply #6
An aside: are Rick and I the only ones who use Score Review? I rarely or never see it mentioned in other people's posts.
Nope! Me too. And very often.

Thus, I don't seem to have any use for it. What do I miss?
The number and staff of the possible warns.
The channels used and those still available.
The pannings and the volumes.
The transpositions.
And more.
And all at once and with just a keystroke!

My complaint is that the dialog is too small. Every time I must enlarge it or scroll.

Reply #7
You guys are killing me! I was so excited to have finally figured out something on my own  without having asked for help in the first place!

I did try Mike’s method on another score and it was so simple that I cried.

What else can you teach me to do faster?
You'll get there - it takes time and practice, and asking questions, just like you're doing.  Patience grasshopper, all will eventually be revealed ;)

The Scripto ( www.nwc-scriptorium.org ) is a great resource.  It's worth exploring.  Aside from a huge library of notated scores, there are lots of user related goodies, including support files and guides and explanations.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
My complaint is that the dialog is too small. Every time I must enlarge it or scroll.
If you right-click on a column description, you can customize the columns shown.

Reply #9
The channels used and those still available.
The pannings and the volumes.
The transpositions.
And more.....

Two things to include in that "more...." at the end of Flurmy's list are (a) which staves are muted, and (b) the existence and general state of any hidden staves. (I ALWAYS forget which scores have hidden "sound staves" to go with visible, muted "printing staves"; Score Review gives me that information at a glance.)

Reply #10
...An aside: are Rick and I the only ones who use Score Review? I rarely or never see it mentioned in other people's posts.
I use it occasionally.  When I need it, it is helpful.

Reply #11
any hidden staves. (I ALWAYS forget which scores have hidden "sound staves" to go with visible, muted "printing staves"; Score Review gives me that information at a glance.)
So does Page Setup->Contents, which is why I don't bother with it in Score Review.

Reply #12
... which points to a (for me up to now: completely unknown) feature "Find Missing Octave Accidentals" - I would have expected this near the "Tool/Audit" menu ... but so be it!
Out of curiosity: Are there any other "Warns" besides the missing octave accidentals??

H.M.

Reply #13
"Find Missing Octave Accidentals" - I would have expected this near the "Tool/Audit" menu ... but so be it!
It is also on the Find menu.

Reply #14
.. another place I have never seen (hint for newbies [like me, at times? ;-) - it took me a few attempts until I noticed that menu]: Ctrl-F -> tab -> space will beam you there, Scotty, where "Octave Accidental Unassigned" is the topmost entry ... Maybe I should read sequentially through the help file, as an evening pastime ...).

H.M.

Reply #15
If you right-click on a column description, you can customize the columns shown.
Yes, I know.
But all the parameters I need do not fit in the default dialog window that, in my old fashioned 5:4 screen, is only 1/2 screen wide and must be enlarged every time I close NWC.  :(
Of course I put the most relevant columns at the left, but anyway...

Quote from: Rick G.
So does Page Setup->Contents, which is why I don't bother with it in Score Review.
So do I.