Skip to main content
Topic: Are multiple margin settings within a page possible? (Read 2387 times) previous topic - next topic

Are multiple margin settings within a page possible?

Given a score where system breaks occur at the end of lyric phrases, with half of the phrases/lines being only @ two-thirds as long as the others, is there a method to keep selected phrases from having "full justification," but rather have greater right margins so that five words aren't stretched across the whole page?  All that to say, is there a workaround solution to make some lines appear shorter than others within a page?  The last line is no problem to handle of course (just don't extend last system), but I'd like to have different margin settings for lines 2 and 4 out of an 8 line arrangement.  Is this even possible?

Re: Are multiple margin settings within a page possible?

Reply #1
Yes, it is possible. It involves using the Gap property of the Boundary item.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
If you're asking if it's possible to have uneven right margins, other than the last line on a page, I think the answer is no.  (Learn something everyday, even things I forgot.)

If you're asking if it's possible to change the number of bars appearing on any particular line, the answer is yes.  Just force a system break on the bar line where you want the line to break.  Thus you can have, say, six, seven or eight bars on many of your systems, and one, two, three, four or five on the others. 

To force a system break, highlight the particular bar line and press {Ctrl} + {E} to open the properties window.  There's a check box there to click.

Forcing a system break only works on the top visible system.  A score for, say, eight parts  has eight systems.  Normally in printing parts, you would hide all except the one(s) you want to print.  So now, if you're printing the third kazoo part by itself, you can force its system breaks.  If you print the second and third kazoo parts together, the system breaks must be set in the upper one.

Reply #4
As an example of what you can do, here is my score for liturgical pieces for the Lutheran services in our church. Maybe this helps to show how various workarounds can be done (use Alt-F-V to see what you get; then you can check how I did it ...).

H.M.

Reply #5
Thank you, thank you, thank you both.  I had played with the boundary changes feature earlier but did not recall seeing the gap tick-box, and wouldn't have known what it meant without observing it in action anyway.  The only problem I encountered was when using it after the end of a section close (as a right margin  indent) before the start of a refrain on the next line.  Ten short line segments from treble and bass staffs were appearing on the right side.  Finally figured out how to make them disappear:  Section close (without system break, followed by the boundary gap, followed by invisible *single* bar (with system break).  Being able to select line justification and indentation like a word processor would be great, but this works super in a pinch!