Skip to main content
Topic: Cut and paste all staves (Read 3036 times) previous topic - next topic

Cut and paste all staves

I can see one or two references to this obvious request, e.g. wish list going back 15 years, but no definite answer.
When composing, as opposed to merely transcribing, moving passages around is essential.
That's really awkward one staff at a time.

Ideally we should be able to select multiple bar number(s) at the top and "rt-click copy" all items in all staves in those bar(s).
Then rt-click the target bar, and choose "paste before" or "paste after".

Is something like this under consideration?

Re: Cut and paste all staves

Reply #1
How would you deal with hidden staffs? 

Reply #2
That's really awkward one staff at a time.
I agree... It's usual for me to work with at least 10-staves-score and when I need to copy/move one passage it's tedious to do a copy->paste around 10 times (one for each staff). A native tool for selecting, copying and pasting multiple staves could be very useful, but as far as I know NWC don't implement this option, so I'm affraid there's no good solution for this  :'(
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #3
I don't know the answer to this because I haven't spent a lot of time creating user tools... but I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to do a multi-staff copy/paste via a user tool.

One of the challenges in doing this with NWC is that there is no requirement that each staff have the same number of measures (or even the same measure structure). If there were a native ability to do a "rectangular" copy/paste (i.e. not necessarily all staves, but a set of measures over a particular group of staves) there would be a number of special conditions and types of data that would need to be handled besides that. For example, multi-measure rests and lyrics. As well as hidden staves as mentioned by @David Palmquist.

Reply #4
You can take a look here and here
I never tried it, so I can't say anything.

Reply #5
This evening's small project: I wrote a user tool that "does this". Before I present the result here, I open a new topic in the user tools subforum to discuss my solution a little - it has its merits (I hope), but also drawbacks ...

H.M.

Reply #6
I wrote a tool to copy and paste measures on multiple staves, including the lyrics.
Multimeasure rests are split if necessary.
I have put it here in the subforum for user tools.
Always look on the bright side of life!