Skip to main content
Topic: It's that time of the year... (Read 6392 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: It's that time of the year...

Reply #3
Ah ... maybe someone likes this (I sent it to free-scores.com's "Concourse de Musique", but did not get past the last round of eight):

Jingle Bells Overture - PDF
Jingle Bells Overture - MP3

Is this supposed to be polytonal? Or is my playback messed up? Its quite impressive!

Mhm - no, it's supposed to be completely standard harmonies - and, if you listen to the MP3, then I fear, also your playback is not messed up. Rather, I think, that the too loud trumpet soundfont somehow creates wrong notes or harmonies which I do not hear (because I know the score) ...
Or it this only the case when you play the NWC file - now, this will not really work, as I set up the instruments in Reaper, and so I do not at all care what it sounds like when I play it via NWC and e.g. Microsoft's standard synth.  Where does it sound "polytonal" to you?

Reply #4
Hi

Sorry for the delayed response. I was trying to remember how I managed to get it as a NWC score but I can't. I am interested in learning about orchestration so I saved it as a file to study later. It doesn't actually play any sound...but maybe I assigned some instruments to parts to get an idea and that's when the issues began. I listened to the MP3 and it sounds great. It's a really fun piece! I love the Mozart "mash up." Has an orchestra performed this?

Sorry, I know that's not helpful, and I am sure the problem is on my end of things.

SEBC

Reply #5
I was trying to remember how I managed to get it as a NWC score but I can't.
Probably by downloading the file I attached to my posting  ;)

I am interested in learning about orchestration so I saved it as a file to study later.
I am not sure my scores are a good starting point - I am myself trying to learn the first steps of orchestration (after about 9 month of having a teacher, I think, or hope, I start to grasp the first principles ...
I listened to the MP3 and it sounds great. It's a really fun piece! I love the Mozart "mash up." Has an orchestra performed this?
Thanks :) - and no - my teacher said "you'll need quite a capable group to have this performed" - which is not really possible here where I live (I am not - see previous remark - the great composer everyone wants to play on the spot  ;) )
Sorry, I know that's not helpful, and I am sure the problem is on my end of things.
With Reaper, I could help you to make it sound (and I think you need to invest in a decent audio workstation setup if you are interested in instrumentation anyway).

H.M.

Reply #6
Last year a friend of mine, a matematician, after having listened to these "compositions" said he wanted to try to write one himself.
He also added: "you can't listen classical music for half a century in vain!"
The result is the one attached here.
Enjoy!  :D
(And season greetings, of course.)

Reply #7
Chapeau - for the whole thing, the many nice tricks, but also the large number of hours of work that went into this! I very much enjoyed and enjoy it!

(Yet, he can't only have listened to classical (or, mainly, romantic) music - there is way too much knowledge about notational quirks (where do you write repetitions how? do you write a certain note as c# or db?) and formal knowledge (from small: many question-answer motives [there are about a million in it  ;) ]; to medium: how does one "variate", e.g. "keep rhythm the same, but change line", or the diminuation/enlargement concept; to large: slow-fast-medium concept of many first movements of romantic symphonies) in there ... he certainly studied it for quite some time, and quite intensely, I'd say. Or he is on his way to becoming a genius ...

(Anyone got an orchestra to play this live? - the going rates seem to be 4k/min ... 30k for this piece :( ).

Best wishes also to all!
H.M. (software engineer, BTW)

Reply #8
Yet, he can't only have listened to classical (or, mainly, romantic) music - there is way too much knowledge about notational quirks
Well: he, like me, is an amateur musician, playing piano and knowing a lot of musical theory, learned in the long hours of practice requested by nothing else than love for music.