Skip to main content
Topic: Clefs and Octaves (Read 1989 times) previous topic - next topic

Clefs and Octaves

I'm having trouble with my staff clefs.  There is a setting in 'Staff Properties" called 'Transitioning' and I don't know what it does.  I toyed with it and it actually acted like an octaving command but I think it's different than that now.  Although I do need to know how to change octaves up or down.  But my treble clef on my soprano staff plays the same notes as the bass clef on my tenor staff.  Can you help?

Re: Clefs and Octaves

Reply #1
Do you mean "transposing"? That affects the playback of a staff. You can use it for octave shifts, by setting to a multiple of 12 (plus or minus) or you can use it to adjust for instruments that are not in the key of C (i.e. trumpets, saxophones, etc.)

There is also a property setting on a clef object called "Octave shift", which will shift playback up or down an octave. It also draws a small "8" above or below the clef.

Reply #2
Thank you.  Yes I meant to say transposing.  That's valuable info.  I'll give it a try  :-)

Reply #3
The transposition function does the entire active staff. 

If you want to transpose just a few bars of your music up or down an octave, just highlight the notes you need to change and use {control} and {shift} together with either the {up} or {down} arrow.  Seven keystrokes will move you one octave.  

Reply #4
Thank you.