Skip to main content
Topic: Share with Finale or Sibelius (Read 4707 times) previous topic - next topic

Share with Finale or Sibelius

Does anyone know of a way that NoteWorthy files can be shared to and read by Finale or Sibelius?  Thanks!

Re: Share with Finale or Sibelius

Reply #1
Uhmmm... the only way is exporting MIDI files, I guess :(  and it's really far from a good solution.

Things to do:
File -> Export... -> Dialog for entering Path, Filename and Type 1 MIDI File. Then import your MIDI in Finale and/or Sibelius, but remember that this procedure will erase lots of information and visual arrangements...

Good luck  ;)
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #2
If you search the forums for "MusicXML" you will find discussion of a number of tools, some external, that will convert scores to/from this file format. Specifically, this thread discusses an experimental user tool posted by @NoteWorthy Online which will convert a NWC score to MusicXML format (which other music programs can import). MusicXML format preserves much more score information than MIDI files.

Reply #3
From a reply (about 3 years ago)  by Nicolas Hatier, author of an external convertor,
which requires that you submit your NWC file in NWCTXT format,
(other conditions are also displayed eg. max file size now 10MB).

In the past, I used the convertor frequently to convert output from Sharpeye's  XML to Noteworthy
(this was the original version which could only convert one way).
I have NOT used it recently.
The present tool capable of handling both XML  and compressed XML

www.niversoft.com  select TOOLS select MusicXML<->Noteworthy 

Reply #4
Just a quick add on. I used Sharpeye for years to practice and rehearse choral scores. Photoscore obtained a license from Sharpeye and does a very credible job of scanning and coverting. As a test, I coverted and saved as a  midi 1 file. I then opened the file in Noteworthy, and the lyrics were present. It also saves in .opt and MusicXML formats. 

I also used the .nwctext route the other day. The online converter did a pretty good job, but you will need to copy paste the lyrics.

Reply #6
I would like more information on this topic.

Where do you access the nwctxt file? Is that the same as a song file? I don't think so,

Could someone post a link to the Sharpeye program and what kind of cost is involved in that?

I need to convert to Finale.

Thanks for your help.

Reply #7
Sharpeye is at http://www.visiv.co.uk/index.htm

I clicked a couple of the "buy" links today and was surprised at how pricey it is now.  I seem to recall it was quite cheap when I bought it, but now...

I suggest checking the prices on the various distributors' pages.  Sharpeye sends you to one that charges US$169, another link sells it for US$199; I didn't bother checking the others. 

Reply #8
Photoscore Lite is bundled with the full version of Finale. I understand that it will usually do everything you need.

Reply #9
I don't think anyone has answered this question yet:
Where do you access the nwctxt file? Is that the same as a song file? I don't think so.
Normally, when you save a score with Noteworthy Composer, it saves a compressed binary file with the extension .nwc. However, you can also instruct NWC to save a file in NWCTXT format, which is a text format file that many of the score translators can handle. To do that, first open your score normally, then do File > Save as...  When the dialog appears, change the "Save as type:" to "NWC Text File" and click Save.  It will save the same score with an extension of .nwctxt, that is semi-human-readable[1](go ahead and open the file in your favorite text editor and take a peek. Some of us are fluent at reading scores in this format.)
That is, readable by semi-humans

Reply #10
Photoscore is bundled with Sibelius too, or you can buy it stand-alone.  Kind of pricey, though. http://www.neuratron.com/photoscore.htm

Googling "music scanners" turns up other music scanning software as well.  The first one I found is a rebundled SharpEye, but about $20 less expensive than what I mentioned earlier.  Another is an app called PlayScore - there's a free version and the pro version seems to be very inexpensive.  I don't know if it works well.

Reply #11
Normally, when you save a score with Noteworthy Composer, it saves a compressed binary file with the extension .nwc
This was true prior to NWC 2.5
NoteWorthy originally used a binary format. It also sent the binary format through the Clipboard which resulted in many strange behaviors. The language of NoteWorthy is now nwctxt. Since ver 2.5 NWC just adds a header and compresses nwctxt, an improvement IMO.
Registered user since 1996