Skip to main content
Topic: staccato: possibility to get smaller dots? (Read 2455 times) previous topic - next topic

staccato: possibility to get smaller dots?

Hi there everybody,

once again I have a little "wishlist item", and I wanted to ask if anybody has an idea how to create it:
there have been now several occasions in which I would have liked to have the possibility to change the size of the staccato dots (I hope this is how it is called? I'm not sure...) I think, these dots are quite big and heavy in their normal appearance, and (at least to my view) they often "disturb" the eye a bit when looking on a page, at least if there are continued staccato passages.
That's why I ask you creative other users: has anybody an idea how to approach this little problem of mine?

Thanks in advance! 

Re: staccato: possibility to get smaller dots?

Reply #1
I'm not sure if I explained well what I mean:
I would love to have staccato dots that are smaller then they are now in the program (only about 2/3 of the actual size), so that they stay more in the background when looking at a page.

Reply #2
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.751)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Marker|Pos:0|Target:Articulation|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"z"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Pos:3|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I was preparing this reply when I see that @Rick G. beat me to the punch. As you can see in his example, he has used a marker object to hide an articulation mark and then draw one using text in an appropriate font. It is also possible to create a user plugin that would sweep through a score and add the smaller articulation marking to notation that match its search criteria. Acciaccatura.ms and CueHeads.ms are examples of plugins which do this.

This is probably not what you are asking for, which is a preference to be able to scale their size.

Reply #4
Hi Rick and Mike,

thanks for your quick answer! This helps a lot, even if I still have to adjust all the dots manually. But I'm afraifd I am not capable of programming a user tool like Cue Heads myself... :-(
Just in case someone else would like to help me with it: here is how I'd like the staccato to look (it's a little bigger than Rick's version, but still smaller than the standard in the program).

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Marker|Pos:4|Target:Articulation|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"z"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Scale:125|Pos:-4.5|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-2
|Text|Text:"z"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Scale:125|Pos:-3.5|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-1,0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

And I still got a problem if the ornamented note is a second intervall and the stem is upwards (c.f. the example above). How can I shift the staccato dot to the left?
In any case: thanks a lot for help, guys! You're great! :-)

Reply #5
You notice that when you center the text, it centers on the entire note, not just the left notehead. To compensate for this, just add some space characters after the text, like this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Text|Text:"z"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Scale:125|Pos:-4.5|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-2
|Text|Text:"z _"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Scale:125|Pos:-3.5|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-1,0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Note that I used one regular space and one "smaller" space (the one that precedes the "tr" symbol in the StaffCueSymbols font).