Skip to main content
Topic: Uninstalled Object listing (Read 4355 times) previous topic - next topic

Uninstalled Object listing

It's occurred to me that in addition to the Online Synch option in the "Manage Objects" dialogue, it would be useful to have a button that would check online for objects that are NOT installed.

This would be a simple and easy mechanism to find desirable objects that might otherwise be missed.  If the same result window also had the ability to launch your browser with a link to the objects' description thread and examples it would be even better as you could see how the object is used.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Uninstalled Object listing

Reply #1
Currently, plugins are not without a cost, as they impact startup time and memory footprint, as well as potentially expanding the Add Object and Plugin Tool lists.

I don't see NWC offering a facility to encourage installing everything. However, the community could create a *.nwc master file of objects that demonstrates a large collection of them. This master file would enable something similar to what you describe, as it could be used to quickly download and install a large collection of plugins, and also demo their capabilities.

Alternately, perhaps an overview page that demonstrates many of the objects would be helpful.

I'll think about it. This Plugin board is meant to provide much of this now, as it can be casually browsed.

Re: Uninstalled Object listing

Reply #2
Currently, plugins are not without a cost, as they impact startup time and memory footprint, as well as potentially expanding the Add Object and Plugin Tool lists.
Fair point - I hadn't considered that.

I don't see NWC offering a facility to encourage installing everything. However, the community could create a *.nwc master file of objects that demonstrates a large collection of them. This master file would enable something similar to what you describe, as it could be used to quickly download and install a large collection of plugins, and also demo their capabilities.
This has possibilities, but might become a bit of an albatross for someone to maintain...

Alternately, perhaps an overview page that demonstrates many of the objects would be helpful.
Same problem only this time it becomes an additional responsibility for you.

I'll think about it. This Plugin board is meant to provide much of this now, as it can be casually browsed.
The problems I find with the plugin board are:
  • I need to remember to check it
  • It's easy to miss useful objects

The advantages I find with the plugin board are:
  • It's a good area for discussion of the object.
  • It's a great placed for example/demo files.

Thanks Eric.

Happy New Year buddy (in about an hour for me ;) )
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.