Skip to main content
Topic: StaffLabel (Read 3814 times) previous topic - next topic

StaffLabel

With reference to what I explained in this trick, I have a problem.
In the conductor score you have all the instruments at once, so it makes no sense to add the StaffLabel of just a staff (the last one, I discovered) in the page text.

Of course you can temporarily remove the StaffLabel object when you need to print the conductor score, but you must have one object for each staff for printing the single parts so the thing becomes easily tedious.

Any idea?

Re: StaffLabel

Reply #1
With reference to what I explained in this trick, I have a problem.
In the conductor score you have all the instruments at once, so it makes no sense to add the StaffLabel of just a staff (the last one, I discovered) in the page text.

Of course you can temporarily remove the StaffLabel object when you need to print the conductor score, but you must have one object for each staff for printing the single parts so the thing becomes easily tedious.

Any idea?
Flurmy,

I don't think I am exactly following what you are trying to do. Perhaps you could post an example score to make it easier to understand?

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #2
Ok, I'll try to explain better.
Take a look at the attached score.

When I print the single parts, hiding what's not needed, at the bottom of the pages, except the first one, I get "Harp 1" or "Harp 2" or...
When I print the conductor score I get 4 overprinted titles and page numbers and, and this is the big hurdle, all the staff labels overlapped.
Just to be clear: mi intent is to have none in this case!

Reply #3
Save each part as a separate file, and then remove the offending text entries. (I keep my parts saved separately anyway, as both NWC files and pdfs. Saves a lot of time when sending out parts to performers.)

If you are in the habit of making little editing changes in the score every time you print, of course, this approach becomes problematic.

Reply #4
Ok, I'll try to explain better.
Take a look at the attached score.

When I print the single parts, hiding what's not needed, at the bottom of the pages, except the first one, I get "Harp 1" or "Harp 2" or...
When I print the conductor score I get 4 overprinted titles and page numbers and, and this is the big hurdle, all the staff labels overlapped.
Just to be clear: mi intent is to have none in this case!
It sounds like what you want is the same behavior as the "Visibility: Single Staff Prints" setting provides for regular items. I don't know if PageTxtMaestro (or object plugins in general) support that setting.

Mike

Reply #5
I keep my parts saved separately anyway
Sorry, Bill, I don't. I prefer by far to hide each time the parts that I don't need just before printing.

Quote from: Mike Shawaluk
It sounds like what you want is the same behavior as the "Visibility: Single Staff Prints" setting provides for regular items.
Yes, this could be a good solution.
There would still remain the small glitch of the overprint but, if the overlapping is good, it can be neglected.

Quote from: Mike Shawaluk
I don't know if PageTxtMaestro (or object plugins in general) support that setting.
Alas, it seems it doesn't support it.

Reply #6
Try this attachment. Include all groups in the score printout. Exclude the Score group from the part printouts.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Well, at least it seems that "Top staff only" is supported.  ;)
Good idea, Rick, thank you.

I'm now thinking about a user tool that automates the creation of such an auxiliary staff.
It shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply #8
Try printing staff labels on All Systems, but (via F2), give each staff an abbreviation like H 2 that will be used after the first time.  On the first page "Harp 3" would be shown but it would be "H 3" on every system after that.
Since 1998

Reply #9
Thaks, Warren,
I was aware of that possibility and I used it in some orchestral scores, but for the use I described I prefer this solution.