Skip to main content
Topic: Leading adjustment in lyrics? (Read 2534 times) previous topic - next topic

Leading adjustment in lyrics?

In lyrics, I find the default leading (height of font - or, in visual terms, the space between lines of fonts) is too condensed, making it difficult to follow the text while singing. I have tested the standard fonts in Windows: this is true with all of them.

Is anyone aware of a way to increase the space between lines of lyrics?

Re: Leading adjustment in lyrics?

Reply #1
Is anyone aware of a way to increase the space between lines of lyrics?
Put each verse on its own staff and layer the staves with verses. Use Staff Lyric's Offset to adjust the spacing.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
An effective work-around: thanks, Rick.

Reply #3
You are welcome. It is a tedious workaround. Hopefully, it will not be needed often.
Wikipedia has a useful article.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
You could also try to leave some lyric lines - for instance the even ones - empty and put your lyrics only on the odd lines.
To avoid loosing the correct line I once made a score where I skipped the 3rd, 6th lines effectively creating multiple groups of 2 verses.
I admit, this isn't as flexible as Ricks solution - no control over spacing -, but you can keep all lyrics in one staff.

Bart

Reply #5
No one has said this, but it seems to me that it would be a useful feature to be able to adjust the leading on lyric text. Perhaps this would be considered as an enhancement to NWC in a future version.