Skip to main content
Topic: Piano sound when I enter notes manually on a staff (Read 2560 times) previous topic - next topic

Piano sound when I enter notes manually on a staff

Hi Noteworthy users

I am unable to find out how to turn off the annoying sound of the piano when I am entering notes into a blank staff.

I play clarinet, not piano, so the piano pitch is entirely wrong for me and it throws off my ear when I am trying to remember a musical passage using my clarinet. The mute mutton in the tool bar does not mute the sound of the piano input. I already got rid of the piano keyboard at the bottom of the screen.

How can I enter notes into NWC staff without muting my entire computer, rendering the song I am trying to listen to muted as well?

Re: Piano sound when I enter notes manually on a staff

Reply #1
Uncheck Play notes on entry in the Midi Options Dialog Tab.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
You turn it on and off in Tools, Option, Midi, Play notes on entry

MusicJohn, 21/Aug/15

Reply #3
You can also change it from a piano sound to a clarinet sound, if you prefer. Place the cursor in the staff you are entering notes into, then press F2. This will put you in the "Staff Properties" dialog box. Choose the "Instrument" tab and click on "predefined instruments," then "reed," then "clarinet." Click "OK" in the "instrument tree" box, then click "OK" again in the "Staff Properties" box. Hit "Play." (This last step is necessary to make the instrument change take effect.) Now when you enter notes on the staff, you should hear a clarinet instead of a piano.

But if you want the notes muted entirely, follow Rick's and John's advice instead of mine.

Reply #4

If it's only the pitch that throws you off, you can keep hearing notes on entry but change the staff properties to Transposition = -2. 

The notes played on entry will be the right pitch for clarinet. 

To do this, make sure you're on the active staff, then press F2 and select the Midi tab, or instead, find the Midi tab when you choose Options from the Tools dropdown menu.

Reply #5
The Play notes on entry option uses the instrument's transposition. It will also use the correct instrument patch if it has previously been played into the current staff's MIDI channel. You can generally do this by pressing Shift+F5, then F6, after you set the correct instrument for the staff.

Reply #6
Ignore Transpose on Midi In in the Editor Options Dialog Tab provides an additional option.
I don't play transposing instruments, so I feel unqualified to offer any advice on how any of these options should be set.
Registered user since 1996