Skip to main content
Topic: When note values exceed the allowed in the bar. (Read 2814 times) previous topic - next topic

When note values exceed the allowed in the bar.

I attached the original bar from a piano book.  Half notes shown are meant to be held but their additive values are greater that the 4 beats.
So, of course, the composer treats the bar as having 7 beats.  Pic 1 is what I have to do to make it work. So I layered a staff shown in pic 2... The question is how to make the half notes appear but only hold the value of a quarter note.  I guess I have to show the note on the 2nd (layered) staff but not have it count and put a quarter rest on the 1st one and make it invisible. 

(I am pretty sure that I'm doing this the hard way as this situation occurs often in piano notation.  Creating a second staff to layer, putting in whole not rests and bars lines, and hiding those rests and bar lines is time consuming.  Sometimes just for one or two little fixes.)

I have switched to the latest version of Noteworthy, (pictured.)  I believe that this version must handle some of these situations.

Perhaps there are other post covering this... I'm a bit overwhelmed and making up solutions on the fly!

Paul

Re: When note values exceed the allowed in the bar.

Reply #1
There are two standard ways that you can achieve this. Either without a layer using rest chords, or with a layer but you don't need rest chords.

A rest chord is a chord that also has a rest in it. In this case, if you don't want a layer, then the first rest chord has the rest showing and the second rest chord does not have the rest showing.

If you use layers, then the top layer will be the notes with tails pointing up and the second layer will be those with tails pointing down plus the rest .

The two attachments show you both methods.

HTH.
Rich.

Reply #2
Hi Paul,

Rich's explanation and examples are correct, but if you haven't used RestChords before, they can be a little confusing. Here are a few more details that will help you enter them.

As the name implies, a RestChord is a combination of a rest and a chord. In order to create one, you first must insert a rest, then position the cursor where you want each note of the chord to appear, and press Ctrl-Enter to add them . Also, note that the rest duration should always be shorter than the chord note durations being added. What makes the RestChord special is that the number of beats it takes up in a measure is that of the rest, not the chord. This is what allows it to work in your example.

When you do a properties of a RestChord, you'll see there is a separate tab where the vertical position of the rest can be adjusted, and where the rest can be hidden if desired.

Reply #3
 :)  thank you both!  When I looked at your examples all became apparent!  Of course...
As for creating a staff to layer, I guess I could create a document and save it with a staff with rests, kind of a template and paste that quickly when needed.

One last quickie. Is there an easy way to select one or the other layered staves from the workspace or must one uncheck allow layering from the page set up, split them to get to the respective properties menu.

Reply #4
There is an icon on the files toolbar. Just click the icon, it will toggle between layered and unlayered.
Rich.

Reply #5
Thank you Rich and Mike for your prompt help.  I truly appreciate it!

Paul H. Borisoff

Reply #6
Is there an easy way to select one or the other layered staves from the workspace or must one uncheck allow layering from the page set up, split them to get to the respective properties menu.
Keyboard Guide

Page Up  Shifts the active staff upward
Page DownShifts the active staff downward
This works when layered or unlayered.

Also, the current staff is shown to the right in the status bar. If you right-click there, a list of staves will appear.
Selecting one will make it the active staff.
Registered user since 1996