Skip to main content
Topic: Locked topics in User Plugins sub-forum (Read 5060 times) previous topic - next topic

Locked topics in User Plugins sub-forum

All,

You may have noticed that a number of topics in the User Plugins sub-forum have become locked as of today, as part of updates to user objects I have made. I wanted to let people know that I did not lock the topics because I don't want feedback; rather, I want them to be references for the objects and their changes, not for general discussion. If you have problems with any of these objects, or suggestions on new features or other changes, please post that information here, in the parent "Tips and Tricks" forum. As I mentioned before, I am committed to supporting and improving these objects, both in the current beta release as well as the upcoming 2.75 general release.

Thank you,
Mike

Re: Locked topics in User Plugins sub-forum

Reply #1
The problem with locking topics is that they cannot be quoted.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
What would be your suggested remedy for this?

• Leave the topics locked, requiring users to choose "New topic" and type their response from scratch (or use copy/paste from the locked post)
  • Investigate changes to the forum that would allow a locked topic to be "quoted" to a new topic
  • Unlock the topics, and ask Eric to split an existing topic to a new topic thread once it has accumulated responses

I realize that you were speaking in general about the inability of quoting from a locked topic, but the User Plugin forum is already customized so that only those of us with a two-character author designation can post new topics there.

Reply #3
Second reply: I just noticed that if a user chooses More > New topic... , it will quote the message they are responding from. However, I don't know what will happen if someone without an author designation does this on the User Plugin forum, since they are not allowed to start new topics there. (Since I have a designation, I cannot test this. Can someone assist?)

Reply #5
Second reply: I just noticed that if a user chooses More > New topic... , it will quote the message they are responding from.
That works. I can quote NoteWorthy's announcements:
NWC 2.75 Beta Preview 41 is now available. It includes:

• user object context menu for changing individual object properties
  • View source command to the insert selectors' right click menu
  • custom user object anchor size
  • Tools, User Objects now provides feedback when no updates are available/needed
  • significant additions to the plugin api
A very useful enhancement to the forum, however, most members will be discouraged by the absence of a Quote button on locked topics.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Locked topics in Object Plugins sub-forum

Reply #6
I've decided that locking topics in the Object Plugins forum wasn't a good idea after all; please feel free to post comments there.

I guess I should have heeded Rick's advice.