Skip to main content
Topic: Floating labels? (Read 2682 times) previous topic - next topic

Floating labels?

When working with a fairly complex score, with a large number of staves, it would be very convenient if each staff name, or staff label, or some bit of associated and relevant text, could "float" at the left hand edge of the screen, so that I could always see at a glance which staff is what without having to zip back to the start (and then back to my place).  This isn't possible with NWC 1.75 (which I am still using), and I don't think it can be arranged with NWC 2.5 et al, though I'd like someone to show me I'm wrong and how it can be achieved.

Any offers?

MusicJohn, 17/Jun/15

Re: Floating labels?

Reply #1
John,

You need to use your copy of version 2 more often (I know you have it).

Version 2 offers these possibilities.

1. A staff label which can be always on the left hand side of the screen and is configured in the general properties for the staff. (Named as Staff Label). There is an option to show the label panel from the view menu.

2. There is also a vertical blue bar at the left hand side which, if you hover over it, will show you the staff name, the bar number the cursor is on,  the clef at that point,  the key signature and the  Time sig.

3. In the status bar, there is the clef, the time sig, the bar number , the channel used for that staff , the group name and the staff name.

Time to start using version 2 ?  The status bar can be switched on from the view menu.

Edit - In version 1.75, the staff name that the cursor is on  is always shown in the status bar (again switched in in the view menu)
Rich.

Reply #2
   Thanks, Richard.

You're right, of course - and you're right; I should get out more!  [:-)]

Mind you, I'd quite like the ... label to float on top of the staff (and be individually movable up and down, as seems fit) rather than being inserted in a fixed position before its start.  This might be partially possible were the panel to be made transparent?  Still, I'll give this more thought.

Thanks again.

MusicJohn, 17/Jun/15

Reply #3
Thank you, Richard,
"3. In the status bar, there is the clef, the time sig, the bar number , the channel used for that staff , the group name and the staff name."
for pointing to this little gem in the status bar.

Key signature should be useful here as well. Hopefully in the next ... ?

I see that the timing is hiding the status when playing the song.

There is also a little risk that if there are (master) repeats in the score, clef, channel or key signature could have been changed in successive passages. I see that the property of the first passage is always displayed. This could be misleading.

Bart

Reply #4
There is also a little risk that if there are (master) repeats in the score, clef, channel or key signature could have been changed in successive passages.
The channel will never change.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Indeed, Rick.
I confused channels with instrument changes, but the latter aren't shown (yet). Sorry.
Maybe these and other properties could be useful too, but I like the current sober layout.
Bart