Skip to main content
Topic: Undo (Read 2310 times) previous topic - next topic

Undo

Hint: why not add the undo function (at least one level) to the edit boxes?
I'm thinking in special mode to the lyrics one, but also the others.
For a blunderer like me...

Re: Undo

Reply #1
Hint: why not add the undo function (at least one level) to the edit boxes?
I'm thinking in special mode to the lyrics one, but also the others.
For a blunderer like me...

Does Ctrl-Z not work for you in the lyrics editor? It seems to work for me. (But just a single level, hence it will "toggle" the most recent change.)

Mike

Reply #2
Thanks, Mike!
In the last century I was accustomed to use <alt><backspace> to undo and kept using it till today, so I forgot about <ctrl> z.
Now, let me change my hint: why not allow <alt><backspace> too for undo?

Reply #3
While we were talking about this, it reminded me of another minor peeve I've had with the lyric editor window. Sometimes I want to "select all" so I can copy lyrics to a different verse or staff. I've noticed that Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V all do what one would expect (Copy, Cut, Paste) but Ctrl-A (Select All) doesn't do anything here. However, there is a Select All choice available if I right click in the text box. I wonder whether it would also be possible to have Ctrl-A work here for Select All (another place where this would be nice is the User Object properties window).

Side note: I find myself doing Ctrl-A at times to "select all the notes on the current staff", and I instantly realize I've just added a new staff to my score (which of course Ctrl-Z will undo). So I do know that this isn't something that is going to work anywhere except inside a text dialog.

Reply #4
.... So I do know that this isn't something that is going to work anywhere except inside a text dialog.

Unless, of course, NWC gets with the standard and starts using Ctrl-A to select all of the current staff. This would, of course, require a change in the shortcut key for "add staff." I suggest Ctrl-Plus, which AFIK isn't currently doing anything.

Reply #5
I am set in my ways. 

I'm used to using Control A and Control D to add and delete staffs.  I've been doing that for nigh on 19 years, I suppose, since version 1.3. 

I'd hate to have to relearn my shortcuts. 

The A and D are conveniently under my fingertips when I'm on the guide keys, whereas I have to go to the other side of my number pad to find the + key or do a control and a shift on the = key to get the QWERTY + sign.  The latter seems a bit awkward. 

I vote against the idea.   It ain't broke, so please don't fix it.