Skip to main content
Topic: Three questions... (Read 2077 times) previous topic - next topic

Three questions...

three questions.
1. When I have three whole notes tied across three bars. The tie runs from the first to the last, as opposed to one to another or three shorter, separate ones. Also when played on the system speaker, all notes are played and the tied ones sound too.

2. How do I transpose a small section of notes, like three or four bars that need to be raised an octave. (In the wrong octive)

3. I tried to make the staff fatter in the vertical direction on an existing piece, increasing
the upper staff number from 12 to 18 only increased the space between staffs. I am writing for solo violin. (one staff). I will try blocking the whole shebang and see what
happens.

Re: Three questions...

Reply #1
Paul,

I think that you have used a slur (keyboard semicolon ;) rather than a tie (keyboard slash /). If you highlight the first two notes (hold down the shift key and use the relevant arrow key) and then press the semicolon, you should remove the slur. While the notes are still highlighted, hit the forward slash (/) and the notes should then tie. This will then only sound once instead of three times.

There are two different methods to easily raise or lower a group of notes by an octave. The first is to highlight all of the notes that you want to raise. Then hold down both the control and shift keys and while you are doing this, press the up arrow 7 times.

The second method is to insert a new clef with an octave up instruction. Remember to place another clef without an octave change at the end of the section.

3. Not sure what you mean here but try the magnifying glass to make the staff bigger. For printing purposes you may wish to try a larger points size. (Page setup then the options tab)

Hope this helps

Richard