Skip to main content
Topic: flow & endings extreme frustration now urgent! (Read 4659 times) previous topic - next topic

flow & endings extreme frustration now urgent!

Here is what I want to do - maybe someone can help me do it...
intro (4 bars repeated with local repeat) [this always works fine]
verse 1 + verse 2 with different ending (Master repeat with special ending 1)
Chorus with different ending (Master repeat with special ending 1)

Back to start through the whole thing again, and then to a coda:  da capo al coda
Intro
THIS time, FIRSTLY the lyrics shows lyric liens 1 & 2 again instead of 3 & 4 - why?
ALSO none of the repeats work except the local one in the intro - How do I get it to do the whole thing again?
When I get to the Coda even the repeat in the coda doesn't work.  How do I get there to be a repeat in the coda - not a local repeat, but one with two endings?
If I use a D special ending, okay - it plays that bar, but then still won't repeat!

THEN at the end of the Coda I want go back to the intro to end.
So da capo al fine.
But it won't go back!

I am at my wits end...
Obviously I can write out the music and explain it to our band, but I want to be able to send them an mp3 tomorrow so they can hear the music and make sense of the score without me.  But I can't do this if the score won't play as I want it to!
Richard

Re: flow & endings extreme frustration now urgent!

Reply #1
Since the words won't play back, all you can record are the notes.  A workaround to let you quickly make a recording for tomorrow is to make a copy of the file, and instead of using complicated flow directions,  copy the repeated bars in the sequence you want to hear them, and get rid of all the repeats and other flow directions.  Your score will be longer, but it's only for playback, so who cares?  Make your recording then delete the new file.   RICK SAID IT BETTER: "Make a version without any flows or repeats. It will have many more measures. Use it to make the mp3."

It isn't clear to me what your flow directions are.  
  • Are you using a Master Repeat Open (MRO) at the beginning of the verse 1 and 2?
  • Are you using 1st and 2nd endings for verse 1 + verse 2 with different ending (Master repeat with special ending 1)?
  • In Chorus with different ending (Master repeat with special ending 1) have you tried using 1st and 2nd endings, with the DC al Coda placed in the second ending?

• I think THIS time, FIRSTLY the lyrics shows lyric liens 1 & 2 again instead of 3 & 4 - why? may be because the D.C. takes you back before the first MRO, resetting the special ending counter when you cross the first MRO again.

From that point I find it hard to understand your description.  The use of two "D.C. al" commands is a pretty complicated structure (I've never seen it in printed sheet music, but maybe others have.

If you still can't get the file to play the way you want it to, please send it to this forum, either as an attachment, or just an NWC text clip.  If the latter, I suggest starting from a copy of your file, and deleting bars that aren't necessary to show the flow direction.  Keep the bars before and after each flow direction element, allowing the clip to be fairly short.

Reply #2
Please remember:

Default (D.S./D.C.) Ending
This is the default ending for a repeated section. The default is used after a Dal Segno or Da Capo have been executed, since master repeats are themselves ignored after one of the flow directions have been executed.

From http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/TAB_SPCLENDINGPROP.htm:

N.B.
The special ending may be longer than one measure, but only the first measure will contain a printed marker line on top of it.
is no more true.

Reply #3
I want to be able to send them an mp3 tomorrow so they can hear the music and make sense of the score without me.
Make a version without any flows or repeats. It will have many more measures. Use it to make the mp3.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
I am able to replicate the issue with repeats and endings not happening as expected, when using repeats with Da Capo.

However, I managed to find a workaround by using master repeats inside local repeats. Have you thought of replacing the local repeat in the intro with a master repeat, and then using a local repeat instead of DC al Coda, with the notes for the intro repeated at the end, after the local repeat as a Coda?

Here is a file which seems to do what you described, but without the use of Da Capo: http://www.geocities.ws/qwikkey/repeats1.nwc

Reply #5
Interesting - thank you, I'll take a closer look at that.
Richard

Reply #6
A simple solution. After D.C. al coda playing master repeats 2 times but with a specific place with hiding locals repeats. The same for after D.C. to Fine. But it doesn't work with special endings.