Skip to main content
Topic: Making Ritarando Work (Read 4184 times) previous topic - next topic

Making Ritarando Work

I'm a novice user of Noteworthy Composer. I'm trying to have playback slow down gradually so inserted a Tempo Variance Ritarando. Two bars later I insert a Tempo designation (since I don't see an "a tempo" Tempo Variance). According to the help description, playback should gradually slow down over the two bars. However, the tempo remains the same. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Re: Making Ritarando Work

Reply #1
You need to have a tempo marking on the staff sometime before the Rit. as well as after. This can be at the very beginning, but it must be there.
Rich.

Reply #2
If you want to hide the "unnecessary" tempo marking, you can hide it by selecting it, Cntl/E and clicking on the "Visibility" tab.  An alternative is to have it on a hidden staff while the visible (but muted) staff doesn't have it.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Me again. In bar 2, I set the Tempo base to half note and the tempo to 96; in bar 8, I insert a Tempo Variance of Ritarando; in bar 9, I insert a Fermata (6) on the 3rd beat (4/4 time); in bar 10, I insert Tempo with base half note and tempo of 96. When I play this back, there is no gradual slowing at the Ritarando - there is a pauses on the Fermata but otherwise playback proceeds with the original Tempo. What am I missing?

Reply #4
Me again. In bar 2, I set the Tempo base to half note and the tempo to 96; in bar 8, I insert a Tempo Variance of Ritarando; in bar 9, I insert a Fermata (6) on the 3rd beat (4/4 time); in bar 10, I insert Tempo with base half note and tempo of 96. When I play this back, there is no gradual slowing at the Ritarando - there is a pauses on the Fermata but otherwise playback proceeds with the original Tempo. What am I missing?

In order to see the effect of the Ritardando, you need to insert a Tempo, sometime after the Ritarando, at a slower tempo. (This is separate from a Fermata, which only affects the note it is placed over). The tempo will change gradually from the point of the Ritardando until it reaches the slower Tempo mark.

If you want the tempo to speed back up again, you can insert an Accelerando, and another Tempo at a faster beat. The tempo will likewise increase gradually until the song reaches that next Tempo marker.

Does this make sense? Perhaps if you were able to share your score, or a segment of it, one of us could more easily show you what commands are needed.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Making Ritardando Work

Reply #5
You describe this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|Tempo|Base:Half|Tempo:96|Pos:11
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|TempoVariance|Style:Ritardando|Pos:9
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Half,Dotted
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:6|Pos:9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Bar
|Tempo|Base:Half|Tempo:96|Pos:10
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
With the exception of BreathMark, Caesura and Fermata, the documentation says NWC does this:
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/MNU_TEMPOVARIANCE.htm
They scan on both sides of the variance event to find the presence of tempo marks. If they are found, then the change from one tempo to the next is introduced gradually at a rate determined by the distance up to the next tempo mark.
The tempos on each side of the "variance event" are the same, so the variance event does nothing that is audible.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Thank you! I've got it now.