Skip to main content
Topic: Numbering verses in lyrics? (Read 3940 times) previous topic - next topic

Numbering verses in lyrics?

I frequently need to number the verses in lyrics.  Currently, I do this by putting the number on the beginning of the first syllable, separated by an underscore.  It looks something like this: "1._The day ..."  This works, but has the disadvantage that the verse numbers don't line up because the first syllable of each verse differs in width.

Is there an easy of achieving verse numbers all vertically aligned?  (I say "easy" because I'm loathe to go to the trouble of putting a hidden note ahead of the start of the melody in order to align the verse numbers with that!)

If there isn't currently an easy way of doing this, could this be considered as a feature request for a future version, please?  Perhaps on the Lyric configuration window, there could be a simple checkbox for "Number the verses".  That would cope with a large number of situations, but not, of course, with a song in which the chorus comes first, which would need the ability to put aligned verse numbers elsewhere within the lyrics ...

Re: Numbering verses in lyrics?

Reply #1
Is there an easy of achieving verse numbers all vertically aligned?  (I say "easy" because I'm loathe to go to the trouble of putting a hidden note ahead of the start of the melody in order to align the verse numbers with that!)
That is the easiest way. If you can't get over your loathing, the verse number can be entered as text.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2

What I usually do is insert a short duration grace rest where I want the verse number to appear. Then I set the properties of the grace rest to Lyric Syllable: Always and Visibility: None. Then, I put the "1." as a separate syllable in the lyrics. and everything lines up nicely. Plus, it doesn't alter the playback noticeably.

Mike

Reply #3
Ok, thanks for the responses - at least I haven't missed something very obvious!

Could this be added, if it's not there already, as a feature for a future version, please?

Thanks,

Reply #5
If you mute the grace note, it won't alter playback at all.

Thanks - nice to know. When I think about it, the idea of a muted rest is kind of funny (a grace rest, no less.)

Reply #6
Thanks - nice to know. When I think about it, the idea of a muted rest is kind of funny (a grace rest, no less.)

Call it the Amazing Grace Note.
It might help to remember this little trick (if you would need that)