Skip to main content
Topic: colored syllables (Read 5200 times) previous topic - next topic

colored syllables

I want to make a song with one syllable colored.
Not only the music note, but also the lyric (syllable).
What do I have to do so?

Re: colored syllables

Reply #1
As long as it is only a very few syllables, you might want to try this approach.

I wouldn't want to use it for a great many though.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.51)
|Locale|ACP:1252
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:1|CaretPos:1
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2014 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:StaffItalic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffBold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageTitleText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageSmallText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:16|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Standard Rules|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"one two three four\r\nfive six se-ven\r\neight nine ten e-_-en\r\n"
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Visibility:Always
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Text|Text:"lev"|Font:User1|Pos:-14|Color:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2|Color:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Rich.

Reply #2
Rich, is there a reason you didn't just use the Staff Lyric font for the your text object instead of modifying User 1?

Reply #3
Rich, is there a reason you didn't just use the Staff Lyric font for the your text object instead of modifying User 1?

Yup, sure was a reason. I thought that since Guido wanted to change the font colour, then it was possible that other things to do with the font might need to be changed as well. For example, slightly enlarge for emphasis or maybe change to Italic. So I thought the best option was to use a different font to the Staff Lyric Font just in case.
Rich.

Reply #4
In Richard's reply the syllable "lev" was a short one, so when I use "_" in the lyric line, the space is room enough.
But how to do when the syllable is longer (words as "through" or longer)?

Reply #5
Here's one way.

You could also use spacers instead of the underscore in the lyrics.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.51)
|Locale|ACP:1252
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:16|CaretPos:-4
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2014 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:StaffItalic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffBold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageTitleText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageSmallText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:16|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Start of Accidental/Note|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"one two three four\r\nfive six se-ven\r\neight nine ten went _______ the mo-tions\r\n"
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Bar
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Visibility:Always
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Text|Text:"through"|Font:User1|Pos:-14|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote|Color:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2|Color:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Rich.

Reply #6
I want to explain my "problem" clearly.
I want to make a couple of sheets for projecting a song on a wall (using a projector). It is for singing the song with a few deaf people. These people should have to see which note (and text) is singing now.
The position of the notes and the lyrics on sheet #2 and above, should be the same as sheet #1; only the colour is different.
When I use the given solutions mentioned above, I am afraid that the notes and lyrics of sheet #2 (and above) doesn't have the same position.
While singing the song, at each syllable/note I view the next picture. If they haven't the same position, text and notes are "jumping"...

Reply #7
Might I suggest an alternative solution?
Connect the projector to your NWC PC, or maybe better still, a PC with the viewer installed, put the viewer window on the projector "screen", maximise it, open the song to be played (I suggest you set it up as a lead sheet for the displayed part and hide the staves doing the work) and as long as the "lead sheet" has both melody and lyrics, the playback note chase will highlight the notes and syllables perfectly.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
Lyrics are the same color as the staff on which they reside.
If you want some syllables in another color, put them on a staff of that color.

Attached is a modification to the sample file: NOWELL.nwc to use as a guide.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
Lyrics are the same color as the staff on which they reside.
If you want some syllables in another color, put them on a staff of that color.
I tried that and only saw the color when I was moving the scrollbar.  Attached is a minor modification from your attachment, replacing the Now with _ on the first lyric line.
Since 1998

Reply #11
Attached is a minor modification from your attachment, replacing the Now with _ on the first lyric line.
Which is an unneeded complication that disturbs the alignment.

I tried that and only saw the color when I was moving the scrollbar.
In View and Print Preview mode, I see the color exactly where I need to. I don't really care what color is displayed if 'Layering in Edit Mode' is checked and the special staff is not selected.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #12
Might I suggest an alternative solution?
Connect the projector to your NWC PC, or maybe better still, a PC with the viewer installed, put the viewer window on the projector "screen", maximise it, open the song to be played (I suggest you set it up as a lead sheet for the displayed part and hide the staves doing the work) and as long as the "lead sheet" has both melody and lyrics, the playback note chase will highlight the notes and syllables perfectly.

There is already a computer connected to the projector.
Thanks, but that's not a suitable solution for my case.
The music in the church doesn't play at the same tempo as the music in NWC, without a long time of exercising...

The question for now is over; I need it for the service this morning and (because the music is a little bit difficult), we didn't sing the song...