Skip to main content
Topic: Who wants this? (Read 2939 times) previous topic - next topic

Who wants this?

I'm kind of proud of this, so I wanted to share it with all you folks who've been so very helpful to me.  I'm still getting familiar with percussion so it's quite rudimentary and unfinished.  Look at the depraved monster you've created!  ha-ha.  All comments welcome.

Re: Who wants this?

Reply #1
 It sounds nice.  Just a few very general comments that might be ideas you could use the next time.  (more or less tips re NWC)

If you reduce the font size (Page Setup/Fonts) you can reduce the number of page turns.  There are a lot of them right now.

You have an empty percussion staff - do you need it?  If you are going to put something on the empty percussion clef, you could set all the note stems to 'up' on the upper staff, and to 'down' on the lower one, then layer the two staffs.

You could use the percussion clef sign instead of a bass clef for the percussion line, and you could use X noteheads or shaped noteheads for drum parts.  All the accidental signs clutter up the drum line and mean nothing to the drummer anyway.  You could eliminate them by transposing the drum line a half tone or inserting a user-defined key signature with E# and F#, set to visibility=none, and then run Audit Accidentals.   

This sort of rhythmic figure is theorectically correct, but looks awkward. 
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:-4^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-4^
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Rest|Dur:4th
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Where your sixteenth notes at the beginning of a bar represents a very quick syllable such as "feel-" and "I," will anyone sing them that quickly, or are they more likely to make them a little longer, robbing the next syllable's note?  If so, you might simplify those bars by rewriting the sixteenth/dotted eighth combinations as a triplet applied to a sixteenth and eighth.

Just ideas.  Not everyone will agree.  Well done!

Reply #2
Thank you very much!  Lots of good suggestions and ideas I hadn't thought of before.  I'm grateful for the time you took for the critique!

Reply #3
Just some ideas:
  • Instead of using the pedal for the bass notes I'd rather put the performance style "tenuto" at the beginning of the staff.
  • The first notes of the strings ("piano" staff) too use the pedal. I'd rather mark them with tenuto instead.
  • The strings "scales" (bars 20, 24 etc.) sound much better with slurs.
  • Instead of changing each time the channel volume you can use the staff dinamic indicators ("f", "pp", "ff" etc.).
  • In the lyric you should use the dash to se-pa-rate the syl-la-bes and the underscore_to "join" them. :-)

Reply #4
This is great!  Thx Flurmy.  I didn't know what tenuto meant until just now.  I also didn't know the dynamic variables actually did anything.  I thought they were just text for the printed score.

Again, thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.

Reply #5
I also didn't know the dynamic variables actually did anything.  I thought they were just text for the printed score.
Dynamics are usually inadequate on a printed score. Text is much easier to horizontally align.
Registered user since 1996