Skip to main content
Topic: Can one voice playback louder/softer than another? (Read 3063 times) previous topic - next topic

Can one voice playback louder/softer than another?

I have a section of piano music where the right hand is playing a melody just below and around middle C......the left hand plays a bass note and crosses over the right hand to play a chord over the top.  It does this repeatedly while the melody remains in this "deeper" sounding area. 

When I play it on the piano live, of course I can bring out the right hand melody and tone down the crossover.  When NWC plays this portion, the crossover voice to the treble is too loud and drowns out the lower melody.  Is there any setting where you can reduce the volume of just one voice, or must the computer treat all voices as equals?

I had thought about creating an additional clef, and doubling the melody to give it heft.  I don't know how to make it invisible, though.

Re: Can one voice playback louder/softer than another?

Reply #1
Put each dynamic on its own staff and layer it:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|SongInfo|Author|Copyright1|Copyright2
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer|Volume:-1|StereoPan:-1
|Spacer|Width:300
|Dynamic|Style:mp|Pos:1|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer|Volume:-1|StereoPan:-1
|Dynamic|Style:mf|Pos:-3|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-3"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|StaffProperties|Volume:-1|StereoPan:-1
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:-6|Justify:Right
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-6,-4|Opts:Stem=Down
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thank you for answering this.  I'm going to have to teach myself how to do this....Noteworthy seems to have a lot of hidden capabilities out there.  One question though....since I haven't done it and don't anything about layering....yet.  Does this alter the way the music prints out or is it invisible?  Will I need two versions of the music....one for printing (piano music) and one for playback?  Thanks for your help.

Reply #3
There are lots of options, but layering is designed to allow you to print/do things that NWC otherwise couldn't do.  You don't need different versions of the file.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thank you for answering this. I'm going to have to teach myself how to do this....
You are welcome. You needn't go it alone. Lots of folks here to help you.

Does this alter the way the music prints out or is it invisible?
Layering can always be made invisible. Anything that can be placed on one staff can be split into voices, layered and made to look as though it was done on one staff.

Will I need two versions of the music....one for printing (piano music) and one for playback?
No. Layering often avoids the need for hidden playback staves. Not always - ornaments and cadenzas may require notation on hidden playback staves. Layering gets closer to the goal of "what you see is what you hear."
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thank you for answering this.  I'm going to have to teach myself how to do this....Noteworthy seems to have a lot of hidden capabilities out there.  One question though....since I haven't done it and don't anything about layering....yet.  Does this alter the way the music prints out or is it invisible?  Will I need two versions of the music....one for printing (piano music) and one for playback?  Thanks for your help.
I have been a member of this site for several years (not very active, to be sure), and I've played around with Noteworthy Software off and on during that time, and I am just starting to learn many of those hidden things.  I'm starting to learn how to look for them, too.  The people here are very helpful!

Reply #6
In this file, one note replaces another as the dynamics swap.

voltest11.nwc
Since 1998