Skip to main content
Topic: Tempo setting dialogue (Read 2570 times) previous topic - next topic

Tempo setting dialogue

When a tempo is entered, most people will enter Base before Tempo, but sometimes a person doesn't.  If you enter Tempo first, and then change Base from its default, the value in Tempo will change.  

This should not be the default behaviour.  If one doesn't know it will happen and isn't paying attention to what appears on the screen, it's a nuisance to go back and fix it when you finally do your playback.

Re: Tempo setting dialogue

Reply #1
This should not be the default behaviour.
I disagree. If you are moving from cut to common time or 12/8 to common or 6/8 to 2/4, this is exactly the behavior I want.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Depends on which order you want to enter the inputs.  I got caught today because I started with the description, Allegro, then set the tempo, 134, and then noticed the Base was a quarter.  Simply changing the base to a half triggered the behaviour, and it wasn't until I was playing back the score I noticed the tempo was 67 instead of 134. 

Had I had several tempo changes in the piece, and/or if I was putting tempos on each staff instead of on a conductor staff, it would have been a real nuisance.  As it was, it was just a minor annoyance, but it could have slipped past me onto a printed part.

Reply #3
I agree with Rick. The current default behavior is both expected and useful. An example: when transcribing music, especially early music (prior to 1600), I often disagree with another editor's choice of a time signature, but not with his or her tempo. If I'm changing from someone else's 2/2 to my 4/4 (or vice versa), I want the speed to stay constant, which means I want the numbers to change to values that gives me the same tempos with the new bases. If a change is made to this behavior, it should definitely be made optional.