Skip to main content
Topic: Formatting for printing - HELP! (Read 9416 times) previous topic - next topic

Formatting for printing - HELP!

A friend and I are in the process of producing some volumes of music for publication. We've been using NWC for our in-house arrangements and printing of parts, and have been very happy with it. It was perfect for our needs.

Now that we are moving to self-publishing (for reasons of cost) we're a bit more concerned about the limitations in NWC's printing. Specifically

1) Inability to spread staves horizontally so that the last one will fill full width. I guess this would need an algorithm that would "borrow" bars from higher staves to fill up the lower one and share things around a bit more. (Eric, if there is some sort of number used for spacing, couldn't we be allowed to tweak it?)

2) Lack of control over title formatting. (Not so important, but it would be nice).

3) Inability to add characters from other fonts (Oh please, please, can't teXt be enhanced?)

Can anyone out there who has a reasonable work-around for these please respond? Or can Noteworthy give a timeline for when these features would be included? It would be a shame to move our publishing platform off NWC, as I'm otherwise extremely happy with it, but we may have no choice.

Andrew

Re: Formatting for printing - HELP!

Reply #1
Andrew Purdam wrote:

1) Inability to spread staves horizontally so that the last one will fill full width. I guess this would need an algorithm that would "borrow" bars from higher staves to fill up the lower one and share things around a bit more. (Eric, if there is some sort of number used for spacing, couldn't we be allowed to tweak it?)

Oh yes, there is a real need to control the position of the bars. In my humble opinion, the best thing would be to be able to change the position of each bar line within "Print preview", just before actual printing. I will add it to the wish list.

Re: Formatting for printing - HELP!

Reply #2
Okay,

One method I've found useful for spreading notes in lines to get bars spaced where I want then is: inserting blanks between notes to spread a line out. This has worked fairly well under limited testing. Its several drawbacks are

1) difficulty in altering spacing if the notes are changed (ie, do this only when you are COMPLETELY FINISHED with your editing).

2) difficulty in pulling the blanks out later, as they don't readily show up in the editing window either.

3) how tedious it is to have to do so.

Andrew