Skip to main content
Topic: Crescendo within one note (Read 3884 times) previous topic - next topic

Crescendo within one note

Hi,

I'm trying to notate a beautiful violin piece which uses a lot of crescendo and diminuendo. The notes in the tune are quite long (many whole notes and such), so I haven't been able to use NoteWorthy's crescendo option to increase the volume if I have one, long note. Is it possible?

For instance: "pianissimo crescendo whole-note forte quarter note" gives me a pianissimo whole note and a forte quarter note, not a crescendo whole note as desired.

Re: Crescendo within one note

Reply #1
Joonas,
Crescendo will only work as it is for a sequence of notes.
To get a swell on a single note, use a volume Multi-Point Controller.
Set the channel volume of the staves to about 100.
Then with the multipoint controller, do a linear increase in volume to 128, over about 3 quarter notes. With suitable tweakikng of numbers and dynamics, you should get something that sounds okay.

Andrew

Reply #2
Also, remember that not all sound cards support changing the volume for a note that is already playing. Some cards will only enforce a new volume settings for nptes that start AFTER the volume change.

Reply #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that!

Reply #4
What the heck is a volume Multi-point Controller, and how do I find it in NWC?

Reply #5
If you need to insert a Multi Point Controller, just press "L" or, from the Insert Menu, it is the bottom item.  Change "Controller" to "Volume" and change "Style" to "Linear Sweep".  Whatever you do at the end of an MPC will continue to the next similar MPC or end of the piece.  For a crescendo on one note (a certain Hungarian dance comes to mind here), have an initial value of, say, 32 and have it end on 127 a few 16th counts later.
Since 1998

Reply #6
MPC's are one of the most powerful features of NoteWorthy Composer, allowing a lot of control over the actual sound of your midi files.

F1 is your friend. So is the NWC Command Summary

There has also been considerably discussion on this forum, if you do a search on "MPC" I'm sure you'll find plenty to keep you busy.