Skip to main content
Topic: Saving a file as *.nwctxt in order to import into NWC (Read 4353 times) previous topic - next topic

Saving a file as *.nwctxt in order to import into NWC

I am trying to convert abc files into NWC. Using a link I am not allowed to post here.

It converts abc into something that it says is the .nwctxt code, which I should save with that extension. Except that in Windows 7 I can find no way to save it with that extension. Not in Open Office, not in Wordpad. Anybody know how it is done?

Re: Saving a file as *.nwctxt in order to import into NWC

Reply #1
Once you save the file, rename it.  You'll also have to make sure Win7 is showing file name extensions in order to do this.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I can only rename it as something with an extension they approve of. .rtf, .txt, .odf, .pdf, etc. They have a simultaneous drop down for 'save as file type' and I do not see any way to get around it.

Reply #3
Umm, save it as .txt, then exit the program, find the file in explorer and rename it...  I.E. change the extension.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Hey, that works in Opera, thanks!

Reply #5
Well, it worked except it didn't get me anywhere. Noteworthy imports my file, but displays nothing. When I look in the help file under 'import' it says only that it will import 'mid' files. There's nothing in the help file about .nwctxt at all. And I have noteworthy composer 2.5, paid and registered.

Reply #6
When I look in the help file under 'import' it says only that it will import 'mid' files. There's nothing in the help file about .nwctxt at all.
You don't "import" .nwctxt files, you just read/open them.  When you select "Open", you will see folders, .nwc, and .nwctxt files.

I am not familiar with the Opera browser, but have no problem with save as from Firefox.
Since 1998

Reply #7
I tried 'open' also, and it gave me nothing also. I will try doing the conversion in a different browser.

Reply #8
I am trying to convert abc files into NWC. Using a link I am not allowed to post here.

It converts abc into something that it says is the .nwctxt code, which I should save with that extension. Except that in Windows 7 I can find no way to save it with that extension. Not in Open Office, not in Wordpad. Anybody know how it is done?

Just wondering if it is the link mentioned in the first post in this thread.  Try going into Notepad, pasting it in, then do Save As ....  Near the bottom there will be a drop down under "Save as type" with a default of "Text Documents (*.txt)".  Change that to "All Files (*.*)".  You should have no problem changing it to name.nwctxt.

That site also mentions
A desktop shortcut can avoid the need to copy the output to a NWCTXT file is here. After Cntl/C, clicking the shortcut will start the Viewer or Composer with your converted file.

I used it hundreds of times when developing that site and often use it now to create nwc files from text selected in these forums.
Since 1998

Reply #9
I tried 'open' also, and it gave me nothing also. I will try doing the conversion in a different browser.

Just type *.* in the space where it's asking for a file name, then hit return.  You'll get a list of _all_ the files in that directory/folder.

Reply #10
I now think the problem is the original conversion program. I have to click through error messages to get code, on all three browsers I have tried it on (IE, Firefox and Opera), which say something like  'unable to process length: 1 last 1 char|' "
I suspect it has to do with the maximum line length someone has set up in the conversion, and I don't know enough about the syntax of nwctxt files to know what to do about it..

Reply #11
I now think the problem is the original conversion program. I have to click through error messages to get code, on all three browsers I have tried it on (IE, Firefox and Opera), which say something like  'unable to process length: 1 last 1 char|' "
I suspect it has to do with the maximum line length someone has set up in the conversion, and I don't know enough about the syntax of nwctxt files to know what to do about it..

I have been following the "abcusers" group on yahoo and am waiting until the next set of standards are hashed out before changing it (unless it is a simple fix to a bug).  In the meantime, characters the script can't interpret are inserted into a blue text message below the staff.  As legal (or the stuff I can implement thus far) constructs are found and processed, they are removed from the front end of a long string.  The script looks for anything implemented and, if it finds it somewhere other than at the front end of the string, that location is saved.  If some other construct is found closer to the front, the saved location is replaced.  If it's an error, the script will know how many characters to put in the error message and to skip before processing again.  Note what happens when an e is replaced with joker in the following:
Code: [Select · Download]
X:1
T:Speed the Plough
M:4/4
C:Trad.
Q: "Allegro" 1/4=132
K:G
|:GABc de(dB)|de(dB) djoker(dB)|c2ec B2(dB)|c2A2 A2(BA)|
  GABc de(dB)|de(dB) de(dB)|c2(ec) B2(dB)|(A2F2) G4:|
|:g2(gf) gdBd|g2f2 (e2d2)|c2ec B2dB|c2A2iii (A2df)|
  g2(gf) g2(Bd)|g2f2 (e2d2)|c2ec B2dB|A2F2 G4:|
The measure with the error is:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Text|Text:"jok"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-8|Wide:Y|Color:3
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Text|Text:"r"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-8|Wide:Y|Color:3
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The error message should help you find the problem (it's the first thing in the string) and tell you how long it is (last line) unless there are more than three errors.

Send me a copy of the file you are trying to read via PM and I'll see what I can do.
Since 1998

Reply #12
Thanks, late yesterday I got this from the guy who made the abc file:

I think I found the problem. My abc software is more forgiving about some deviations from the ABC standards. I had typed in something like c|-B to indicate a c tied over a bar line to the B and the ABC program had no problem, but it should be c-|B . When I changed just that, the code compiled to NWC text without a complaint. I will paste it below, in case you want to try it.

However he forgot to paste it below, so I can't send the amended text to you....