Skip to main content
Topic: Adding staves during a repeat (Read 5212 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding staves during a repeat

I have a 4 part piece, SATB, which includes a 4 bar repeat that repeats 9 times.  I would like to add a stave after every other repeat.  So the first 2 times through, only the bass stave plays, then the next 2 times through the alto stave also plays, and then the next 2 times through the tenor stave is added, and finally, the last 3 times through, the soprano stave is added.  Can anyone help me pull this off?

Thanks

Brian

Re: Adding staves during a repeat

Reply #1
When you say "add a stave", do you really mean "add the music from a stave to that already playing" or somehow have it magically appear?

Reply #2
For the printed music, you could use text at the beginning of the repeated section to tell your choir who plays when. 

Use the opening local repeat bar and the closing local repeat bar, with the local repeat count = 9
This text would be something like:
(soprano staff)  "Tacet x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6"
(alto)  "Tacet x1, x2, x3, x4"
(tenor) "Tacet x1, x2"

I haven't worked out how to do the playback.  A couple of users will have the experience to offer things that work. 

Reply #3
Like you said, add the music from a stave to that already playing, if that makes sense.  

Thanks

Reply #4
Thanks David,  I did add the text but what I want is for playback to work correctly.

Reply #5
One trick is to set to 0 the volume of the parts that must be added later, then using special endings to turn the needed voices volume up.
I did it myself in some cases and I remember having seen it in some pieces in the scripto, but at the moment I can't recall exactly where.

Reply #6
Thanks David,  I did add the text but what I want is for playback to work correctly.
I think Flurmy's idea could work, but when I wrote my earlier message I had made a brief attempt to work that out and couldn't.

One of NWC's strengths is having hidden staffs that play back, and having visible staffs that are muted.  Just add four new staffs that will be hidden.  Instead of using repeats, write the music out on the hidden staffs. 

The hidden bass part will have 36 bars of notes.  The tenor will have 8 bars of rests and 28 bars of notes.  The alto part will begin with 16 bars of rests, followed by 20 bars of notes, and the soprano hidden staff will have 24 bars of rests, then 12 bars of notes.  Mute the staffs that will be visible and printed; don't mute the hidden ones.

The playback should work the way you want it (if I've counted the bars correctly).  If this 4 bar theme is in the middle of the composition and throws out your bar count, you can set the extra bar lines in the hidden staff to be excluded from the bar count.

Reply #7
I found one example.

Reply #8
removed by author.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Thanks Flurmy, that suggestion worked.  The only problem I have now is since this repeat section is in the middle of the piece, I have an alternate ending.  But during playback at the last repeat, it plays the first ending and then the second ending and continues on.  I can't seem to get it to skip the first ending during the last repeat.

Any suggestions?

Reply #10
Sorry but I haven't understood exactly the problem.
Can you provide an example?

N.B. The basic idea was submitted long ago by Rick.

Reply #11
I am using a master open/close with special endings.  When the playback goes through the fianal repeat, it should skip the first special ending and go to the second and then continue on.  Instead, after the last repeat, it again plays the first special ending and then continues on and plays the second special ending and then continues onto the end.  Can you thing of what could be wrong?

Reply #12
If you have 9 repeats (as in your original posting) how have you configured the special endings (which are 1 to 7 and a default)?
It occurs to me that this may be part of the problem.
Rich.

Reply #13
I used a master open/close with 6 special endings, adding a staff after every other repeat and then I created another master open/close for the last 3 repeats with all the staffs playing.  I have the last measure of the first master open/close as the 1-6 special endings and I have the first measure of the 2nd master open/close as the 7th special ending but like I said, after the 6th repeat, it plays the 1-6 special ending and then continues onto the 7th special ending.

Reply #14
This example uses nested special endings and seems to give the playback you want

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.51,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Tempo|Tempo:300|Pos:11
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:3
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1,2,3,4,5,6
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Ending|Endings:7|Visibility:Never
|Ending|Endings:1,2,3
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:4
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:3
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

I haven't tried to work it out with the muted sections on the first three voices.  That becomes more complicated than necessary, and I think it's easier and more reliable to use hidden staffs for the playback. 

Reply #15
I don't have time at the moment to go through a longish explanation or create an example, but just use hidden special endings to set a (hidden) dynamic to 'ppp' for the quiet ones and 'fff' (or whatever you need it to be) for the audible ones...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #16
David, that clip is exactly what I was trying to do.  After working on it for a long time, it turns out that if I want the 4 bars repeated 6 times, with every other time adding a new part, and the last time skipping to a second ending, I needed to setup 6 special endings, all the same, and no 7th "second" special ending.  Anyway, everything is working great and I want to thank everyone who offered suggestions.  I could not have made it work without you.

Thanks again.

Brian

Reply #17
Glad you got it to work!

Reply #18
Lawrie, I don't see any advantage to approximate the muting on/off with (hidden) dinamics instead of inserting an (obviously hidden) "volume = 0" and "volume = 127" MPC.
Or, if you prefer, "expression = 0" and "expression = 127" MPC.

Reply #19
It's just a little easier and sufficiently effective...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.