Skip to main content
Topic: Sound of slow brushes (Read 8613 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound of slow brushes

Hello All,

In the MIDI percussion reference I cannot find how to make slow brushes sound.
The Cabasa and Maracas are very short.
I don't like the reverse cymbel sound.  
Do I need a specific soundfont for it?
Who tells me?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Mazzltov.

Re: Sound of slow brushes

Reply #1
Have you listened to the Drumref sample? It gives you an idea of the standard sounds available to you. You can use Tools, Staff Play to  listen to each staff separately.

Reply #2
Yes, I know that sample, but the sound I am looking for is not in it!

Kind regards,
Mazzltov.

Reply #3
Some synths have additional kits on other patches - instead if using the piano patch on channel 10, use a different patch - there is a list somewhere of the common ones but I don't recall it - check the iTree section - there would be clues in there.

There is a "brush kit" - gotta go - out of time...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
On Channel 10 choose patch 40 or 41 depending on whether your patches are 0 based or 1 based.

Reply #5
On patch 40/41 there is a brush. Here are the differences between patch 0/1 and patch 40/41 where the brush kicks in.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|Locale|ACP:1252
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:1|CaretPos:6
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2012 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:StaffItalic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffBold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageTitleText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageSmallText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:10
|StaffInstrument|Name:"Acoustic Grand Piano"|Patch:0|Bank:0,0|Trans:0|DynVel:25,35,45,55,68,80,92,108
|Clef|Type:Bass
|Instrument|Name:"Acoustic Grand Piano"|Patch:0|Bank:0,0|Trans:0|DynVel:25,35,45,55,68,80,92,108|Pos:7|Wide:Y
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:b-7
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:n-6
|Bar
|Instrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40|Bank:0,0|Trans:0|DynVel:25,35,45,55,68,80,92,108|Pos:7|Wide:Y
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:b-7
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:n-6
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Rich.

Reply #7
Hello Lawrie Pardy,

What do you mean by iTree?

Kind regards,

Mazzltov.

Reply #8
Hello Lawrie Pardy,

What do you mean by iTree?

Kind regards,

Mazzltov.
iTrees are the mechanism NWC2 uses to make instrument selection easier - you can tailor them to your needs.  However, Barry Graham gave the answer I was hoping you would glean from the iTree section of the forum:
On Channel 10 choose patch 40 or 41 depending on whether your patches are 0 based or 1 based.

Set a staff to channel 10 so that it plays percussion (I assume you already know this) and then on the staff properties dialogue select the Instrument tab and then click the check box for "Send Patch" and put 40 or 41 in the adjacent box.  If 40 doesn't work, try 41 - it depends on your synth which you use as some start numbering patches from 0 and some from 1.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.