Skip to main content
Topic: Note entry not playing properly? (Read 6578 times) previous topic - next topic

Note entry not playing properly?

Okay, when I tried the demo of (I think it was) 2.1, whenever I entered a note, it would play it in whatever instrument patch I had selected for that staff.
Now, however, it only plays the correct instrument after I've pressed Play.

For example let's say I select patch 16, a Hammond Organ, and begin to enter notes: I'll hear all the notes in Acoustic Grand Piano.
If I press the Play button, the notes will play using the patch I selected, in this case, the Hammond Organ.
Any notes I enter following this will play in the correct patch (Hammond Organ).
This is fine until I think to myself: "Maybe that will sound better in Accordion?"
So I switch to patch 21, Accordion, and continue to enter notes... And all the notes are still in Hammond Organ.

In short, it appears that the program doesn't update the patches I'm using for each staff until I've pressed play.
Anybody know why it would do this, or how to fix it? Maybe a workaround?
It's a minor annoyance, but if it can be fixed, I'd love to.

Re: Note entry not playing properly?

Reply #1
Confirm that I get the same as you. This is one for Eric to look at I think.

Rich.

Reply #2
AFAIK, this is the way the "Play notes on entry" feature has always been implemented. It does not try to set the play back context. If you have the "Play from" options set to be near the insertion point, then you can quickly update the play context by starting play back, then stopping it shortly after.

Reply #3
AFAIK, this is the way the "Play notes on entry" feature has always been implemented. It does not try to set the play back context.

In other words, what you hear when you enter a note is the instrument patch most recently used by playback for the MIDI channel of the staff you're working on. If you open a new score after playing something else, "Play notes on entry" will use the patch from the equivalent MIDI channel of the score you just played. (i.e., if MIDI channel 3 was most recently set to oboe, and you open a new score that uses MIDI channel three for staff three, then notes entered in staff three will play with the oboe patch.) If you open a fresh copy of NWC and immediately begin adding notes to a score without playing anything first, the notes being entered will use the piano patch (patch 0). This is the way it's always been.

Eric, it might be worth considering to always use the piano patch for "play notes on entry." Saving and restoring the current staff playback patch would be a simple PUSH-POP operation. Not much extra code there, and it would have the virtue of consistency.

Reply #4
always use the piano patch for "play notes on entry."

Well, I'm not at all interested in this feature, but the most intuitive thing to me seems to use the patch in use in that point of the score.
It should not be too difficult and needs no "push/pop".

Reply #5
Well, at least I understand now why it does what it does. lol
I'll just hit play/stop real quick when I need to hear a particular patch.
Thanks for the replies folks.