Skip to main content
Topic: 2.5 update fails (Read 5362 times) previous topic - next topic

2.5 update fails

I have updated to version 2.5 on my desktop but when I try the same on my laptop which reports version 2.1 I get an error message that the version is either corrupted or the files size is wrong. This is a problem since I now cannot edit files that have been saved on the desktop under version 2.5. Does anyone know how to correct this or will I have to go way back to my CD version and upgrade from there?
I'll understand all this $thing-> $somethingelse one day...

Re: 2.5 update fails

Reply #1
A quick and dirty approach might be to do a system restore on the desktop to before you updated, copy the nwc executable from the desktop to the laptop, then undo the restore.  This gets you back up to date on the desktop.

Now, you should be able to run the update on the laptop.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
You might try this:
If you have the complete NWC2 version installed, you can also do a full repair of the installation by re-running the NWC2 setup found in the Setups sub-folder in the NWC2 program files. It is a good idea to perform a system reboot after doing this when repairing a font problem.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanks Lawrie and Rick. I will try Ricks method first. I have also lost most of my scripts I think it was a php upgrade that did the dirty but I should have some backups on my external hard drive - fingers crossed.

Reply #4
Check your config for script locations...  You may find that they are now in the docs and settings structure instead of under program files...
A bit of judicious tinkering with a text editor on the active "nwc2UserTools.ini" file.

E.G. C:\Documents and Settings\YourLoginName\Local Settings\Application Data\Noteworthy Software\nwc2\nwc2UserTools.ini
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Yes you are right on that one it fooled me for a while. I actually did the 1.75 to 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.5 series of upgrades on the laptop.

A transfer of the ini file from desktop (Vista Home Premium) to Laptop (XP pro) and the php files has restored my scripts.

I am 70 now and every year since I started messing with computers I say to myself record all the upgrades, mods, etc in the little red book so that you can recall what was done and where things were put and WHY!! But maybe next year........:)

I did once do so modular programming with extensive comment lines - changes and testing was a seamless operation - it works if you only do it!!

Reply #6
I get an error message that the version is either corrupted or the files size is wrong.

This generally indicates some kind of corruption/alteration in your NWC 2.1 program binary. Does the NWC 2.1 binary, nwc2.exe, still contain a valid digital signature? In general, I would strongly recommend both a full disk defect scan, as well as a full anti-virus scan, in order to track down what might have altered the NWC 2.1 program binary.

Reply #7
I think once I had that message when I did a wrong step in the update sequence.
For example trying to install the 2.3 to 2.5 updater while the installed version is already a 2.5 beta or something like that.

Reply #8
In that case, the failure message would be different. The 2.5 upgrade specifically checks the currently installed version and reports a "not found" error if there is a mismatch. Also, just in case there is any confusion, there was no 2.3 version.