Skip to main content
Topic: Last Measure (Read 5088 times) previous topic - next topic

Last Measure

When I print a tune I want the length of the last measure to be the same as it would be if it were anywhere else in the piece.  Instead, NWC extends it so it reaches the right margin.  Does anyone know a way to fix this?  I'm in 2.5.4.

Thanks.

Re: Last Measure

Reply #1
Two things :

You have probably got "Extend last system" set in Page set up / Options.  Take this off.

Secondly,  On the very top staff, add an extra bar line at the very end and then use that to "force a system break" (Alt Enter / Bar tab).

This will make the final few measures equally spaced.  You may want to put additional system breaks at other places to change the number of measures in the final system.
Rich.

Reply #2
Rich,

Thanks for your help.  It turns out that my problem was not with checking "extended systems" (I had that turned off) but with the little paragraph-like mark which is sometimes attached to a decorated bar line.  I convert most of my files from abc and so it's not something I put in myself -  at least not intentionally - and I never knew what it was for.

I just now discovered that the puzzling little mark is inserted when you check "force system break" in the decorated bar line pop-up menu. It causes the last line to extend regardless of what's in the page setup.  When I deleted the bar line and re-inserted it without the "force system break", the problem went away.

I initially thought that "force system break" would solve the problem, not cause it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Marcia

Reply #3
Hi Marcia

That's why I said :

You may want to put additional system breaks at other places to change the number of measures in the final system.

If you have only one or two measures on the final system, then justifying the last system (by using the force system break) may not look very neat.  However, if you arange the number of measures in each system on the page such that the last system has a few, then using the force system break to justify makes your score much neater such that all systems on the page line up on the right hand side (in the same way that most if not all published music does).

Rich.

Reply #4
Thanks Rich.  I guess I didn't understand. 

Do you know if there's a way to force a page break when printing?

Thanks again.

Marcia

Reply #5
   One of the problems with Help Files - and sadly Noteworthy is no different - is that they rarely tell you what you need to know - and, in particular, that they often discuss matters under one name and fail to link it to other names under which you might try looking.

Of some assistance, however, is the pdf File nwc25guide.pdf, downloadable from the Noteworthy Website.  This File does quite well what it says on the tin - provides a guide to how to use Noteworthy.  And in this present case it tells you about page breaks (see under Boundary Change) and also about adjusting the appearance of the final measure of a score.

I think you will find it quite helpful.

MusicJohn, 7/Jun/12

Reply #6
Do you know if there's a way to force a page break when printing?

Hi Marcia,

Well John has given you a very good reference to look at, but essentially, the answer to your question is to insert a boundary change (key ] ) In there you will find under the boundary tab, at the bottom, "Force a new system"  which you need to check and then alongside "Start a new page" which you also have to check.  This will also insert a paragraph mark (that you saw before) but this time, it may not be directly to the left of a bar line. As well as starting a new system, this will also start a new page.

But you would be well advised to download the guide that John refers to.  It would help you greatly.

Rich.

Reply #7
Thanks to both of you.  It worked.  I'll download the reference guide.