Skip to main content
Topic: What to say to a former NWC user (Read 3938 times) previous topic - next topic

What to say to a former NWC user

A friend of a friend on facebook, a professional tuba player, had the following to say about NWC:
I started with NWC about the same time (1998). I can't take it any more. The upgrade did nothing for my complaints, that I can tell. It's simply too hard to load the extras. Why don't multibar rests exist yet? Why is it so difficult to get rehearsal numbers/letters in? If there's an easy way to do those, and lots of other things, I have never found it. NWC is great for a quick and dirty leadsheet, or a few bars of something, but a full score, in my experience, is way too difficult to maneuver around. I really, really, wanted it to continue working. I finally threw my hands up in disgust about a month ago. It just doesn't do what I want it to do, unless I want to download all the added fonts and other crap that people throw out there. I don't make it a habit of downloading that type of thing from just anyone, and the few times I did try it, the things just didn't work. Both the big boys will do what I want, and much more easily. I just want multibar rests, rehearsal marks, easy lyrics, and easy chord symbols. NWC add-ons haven't made those happen, Finale and Sibelius do it as a basic feature.

This is my reply below.  Anything to add later if I get the chance?
NWC now has Multi Measure Rests and collapsable staves. User fonts such as Boxmark2 and FretQwik allow rehearsal symbols and chords to be inserted. These fonts as well as hundreds of transcriptions of classical and originial music are on http://nwc-scriptorium.org/index.html
Since 1998

Re: What to say to a former NWC user

Reply #1
If it's typographic output that's wanted, I (as a forced Sibelius user) find Noteworthy and Lilypond combined a far better combination.  Oh, and about 1/5 the cost to a full time student, and much less than that for a non-educational user.

Reply #2
Likewise, NWC + Lilypond rocks. But if your friend wants 'simplicity' to his complexity, what he's gone to is probably that. My brother uses Finale, I use NWC; we both get where we need to go.

Reply #3
The mere fact that he compares Noteworthy with two bloated and expensive commercial programs says everything.
I'll understand all this $thing-> $somethingelse one day...