Skip to main content
Topic: Intermittent layering of Vocal Scores (Read 5521 times) previous topic - next topic

Intermittent layering of Vocal Scores

Vocal Scores, particularly those by more modern Composers (such as Rutter), frequently change back and forth between "open" format (where, for example, each of the S, A, T & B voices has its own, separate, staff) and "closed" format (where typically the S & A voices share a staff, usually tail-up & tail-down, and the T & B voices also share a staff, again tail-up & tail-down).  Layering enables the four S, A, T, & B staves to become the two S & A and T & B staves, but - so far as I can see - only for the entire Score, not for some parts of the Score but not others.  Is the latter possible - can a Score be viewed and printed out (in one piece) with the open/closed format being changed either from page to page or within a page?  Would it, I wonder, be possible to make the Layering Tool an insertable object, like the Boundary Change object?

MusicJohn, 9/Mar/12

Re: Intermittent layering of Vocal Scores

Reply #1
This can be done for printing by making two staffs for each part, one for the layer, and the other for the unlayared. Once this is done, you can collapse one or the other staff as needed in the printout using a Boundary Change.

Reply #2
Here is a template.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3

Nice trick.  Thanks, both of you.  Now, let's see if I can "expand" that to cope with three or even four of the S A T & B staves layered or not - and also for cases where there's a double choir in SATB-SATB format.  [:-)]

MusicJohn, 9/Mar/12

Reply #4
Adding to Rick's template, this allows you to keep the parts on separate staves to layer or unlayer them as necessary.  No change is made for the alto or bass part except stems are down when layering (chorale) is in effect.  When four staves are used the tenor uses a shifted down treble clef.
Since 1998

Reply #5
I would second the request for the boundary object to also support "unlayering."  It would be different if you could have staves come in and out in playback, but as it is, if I want the tenors separated for two bars, I have to add a whole 'nother line (which on screen is measure upon measure of rest) just to get to the part of the music where the tenors have their own line to follow.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
Another useful addition to the boundary change would be the lyric offset. At the moment you can change the lyric position by altering the boundary offset, but that then normally applies the boundary change to (at least) a whole system.

Reply #7
Another useful addition to the boundary change would be the lyric offset.
I once thought so, but I was unable to produce a situation that couldn't be handled by the Boundary Change object as exists in NWC 2.5.3

Reply #8
I made the request after struggling to use the boundary change. The problem was multiple layered staffs all of which had to be changed to maintain the staff spacing whilst temporarily shifting the lyrics. Possible but highly frustrating. And trying to tweak the offset was very time-consuming. Much simpler to be able to vary the lyric offset.

Reply #9
The problem was multiple layered staffs all of which had to be changed to maintain the staff spacing whilst temporarily shifting the lyrics.
That may explain it. I put:
|Boundary|Style:NewSize|Upper:1|Lower:1|Color:6
at the beginning of all but one of the staves in each layer. Since I only needed to adjust one staff to "snug up the lyrics", it didn't seem too hard.