Skip to main content
Topic: NWC Viewer 2.5 Beta 10  (Read 10539 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC Viewer 2.5 Beta 10

I've looked at the new opening mechanism on beta 10.

I do like access to the recently edited list from Composer. I also like the recently viewed list for access to previous files that have been played using the viewer.

What I'm not too sure about are the additional complications in having a drop down list for the "inbuilt" sample songs .  I certainly am not keen on the final option "Find more files".  Browse for a file on your computer is already implicit in the other browse button. Perhaps I understand the link to the Registered Users pages, but most of them have been taken away with the last NoteWorthy web page update.

Besides which, at the top of the dialog box, it says "Pick a work from a list for viewing".  You can't pick a work for viewing from a link in the registered users' links. Maybe if you only have the viewer and nothing else you can and it would work, but the rest of us that have both NWC and the viewer installed will get the file loaded into an NWC program, not the viewer. 
Rich.

Re: NWC Viewer 2.5 Beta 10

Reply #1
The find more files is mostly intended for new users, who are probably starting with the Viewer as their only NWC file tool. The Samples are shown when you first open the Viewer directly with no specified file. I imagine that the Samples access is mostly useful during the initial user exposure.

I would not be surprised to see the user interface mechanisms into these facilities evolve over time. For example, they might migrate into a File menu overlay front-end. Still evaluating it...further comments welcome.

Reply #2
I would not be surprised to see the user interface mechanisms into these facilities evolve over time.

How does this statement relate to a non-beta finalised product available from the Noteworthy front door rather than from the forum?
Rich.

Reply #3
I was speaking to internet time in this phrase. The Viewer should be generally released coincident with the release of NWC 2.5.3.

Reply #4
A new user ought not be presented with a maximized main window. Quite startling on a desktop monitor. I would suggest 800x600 for screens larger than 800x600 and 640x480 for those poor souls with smaller ones.

The "Open for viewing" popup should be resizeable. Ditto for "File History" in Composer.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Well I don't particularly mind the maximised window, particularly since, if the window is resized, the new size is maintained for further uses.

However, what really annoys me is that on starting the program, the open for viewing dialog box is presented. Not a bad thing. What is bad is that if you want to get rid of the dialog box (because you want for example to look and change the options), if you click the red cross to close the dialog box, you actually close the viewer completely.  Even if you click cancel on the dialog box, this also closes the viewer completely.
The only way to do it is to click on open so that the "open" dialog box is presented, and then click cancel.

For someone wanting to check the playback device, because they have more than one,  or check the printer set up, this is not very helpful and in fact quite annoying.

What is also annoying to me (and I realise that not a lot of people use this feature), is that the open for viewing dialog box prevents batched files from starting.  So if you start the viewer with the /start /wait and /play commands in order to have a play list, this now gets held up and will not play automatically.  The start play count down number is displayed under the open for viewing dialog box but when it gets to zero, all stops waiting for the dialog box to be removed. Of course as well as being not required at all here, even if you press the red cross to get rid of it, that then closes the viewer and the next command in the batch is presented with exactly the same effect. Grrr !
Rich.

Reply #8
Starting with the next beta, new users/fresh installs will initially have "Recall Window Size and Position" turned off. This will result in the Windows default placement for the program. The "Run" shell property specifying normal/maximized/minimized window will now be used in this situation. It was previously ignored.

Re: NWC Viewer 2.5 Beta 10 / Beta 11

Reply #9
Thanks - Beta 11 has removed all the annoyances.

The red cross and the cancel on the opening dialog no longer close the whole program.
Batch files now run as expected and a maximised screen can be achieved by those that want it by setting

"Run" to "Maximised".

Way to go !
Rich.

Reply #10
I had to tune my fiddle today after a string broke and played the attached in Beta 11.  As I finished tuning one string I dragged the pointer on the bottom to a point just past the next quarter of that line and found the earlier note didn't cut off.  Was it supposed to do this?
Since 1998

Reply #11
the earlier note didn't cut off.  Was it supposed to do this?
Given that there are 80 note on's and only 4 note off's, it doesn't surprise me that skipping around creates some hanging ties. IMO, your attachment doesn't present anything that needs fixing.

I'd use something like the attachment.

Reply #12

These are real stuck notes. Your note inside the repeats is triggering new notes at each repeat. If you want to notate it like this, you should at least do this:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1^
|Bar|Style:LocalRepeatOpen
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1^
|Bar|Style:LocalRepeatClose|Repeat:19
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #13
Thanks, people.
Since 1998

Reply #14
The Viewer should be generally released coincident with the release of NWC 2.5.3.

We just added/restored MIDI file support into the NWC Viewer, so the final NWC Viewer 2.5 release is going to lag the release of NWC 2.5.3 by a few days, but it won't be much longer.

Reply #15
the final NWC Viewer 2.5 release is going to lag the release of NWC 2.5.3 by a few days, but it won't be much longer.
You might consider adding a View verb to nwctxtFile in the Registry.

Reply #16
You might consider adding a View verb to nwctxtFile in the Registry.

The NWC Viewer adds itself to the "Open With" mechanism for all of the file types that it supports. This is the recommended way to open files into a target program from the shell (aka Explorer).

Reply #17
The NWC Viewer adds itself to the "Open With" mechanism for all of the file types that it supports. This is the recommended way to open files into a target program from the shell (aka Explorer).
I agree that it is the recommended way to advertise that a program can read the format and do something useful with it. NWC does this with *.mid, but the Viewer does not. Perhaps this will change.

NoteWorthy creates a View verb for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer. The lack of a View verb for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwctxtFile seems inconsistent.

Reply #18
Fair point.

Reply #19
Thanks. IMO, file associations are improved in NWC Viewer 2.5 RC1

Now I can send my current song in NWC to the Viewer without querying the Registry.