Skip to main content
Topic: 6th special ending (Read 9359 times) previous topic - next topic

6th special ending

I have the next problem: I entered the song "Jingle bells". This song contains 3 couplets and a refrain. In the refrain is a repeat with a special ending. And at the end of the song there is a different special ending.
I did it the following way:
first the notes of the couplet, followed by a master repeat open, At the end 1st, 3th and 5th special ending then a master repeat close. After this a special ending 2nd en 4th. After this i put a local repeat close with a repeat count of 3 and after this I put the ending part
of the end of the song.
But now the song is playing everything well, but not the ending.
What I want is
couplet - repeat with special ending 1 - repeat with special ending 2
couplet - repeat with special ending 3 - repeat with special ending 4
couplet - repeat with special ending 5 - repeat with special ending 6

couplet - repeat with special ending 1 - repeat with special ending 2
couplet - repeat with special ending 3 - repeat with special ending 4
couplet - repeat with special ending 5 - repeat with special ending 4 - special end
So there is one repeat with special ending 4 to much

is there anyone who can tell me how to fix this?

I use NoteWorthyComposer 1.75C and I hope you all understand this problem a little bit.

Re: 6th special ending

Reply #1
If I've understood what you've done correctly, the 2nd/4tn special ending needs to finish with a master repeat close, the same as the 1,3,5 ending, and somewhere you need a 6th ending...  Local repeats have no bearing on special endings which only work with master repeats.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
it looks like only the 1st en 2nd special ending is recognized and not the 3th 4th 5th and 6th special endings. The nwc file is to find and download at the next url:

home.wanadoo.nl/pjvanderkroon/Jingle%20bells.nwc

Reply #4
Almost, but not exactly. After the 3th couplet the last part (from measure number 27) should be played instead of special ending 2 (measure number 25). So the thirth time the measure numbers 25 and 26 should be skipped.
Your solution proves to me that there is no special ending 3 and upper (such I expected).

But thanks so far. If you know a way to solve my little problem, I'm very happy to hear it. I uploaded your version with measure numbers at
home.wanadoo.nl/pjvanderkroon/Jingle%20bells_01.nwc

Reply #5
<snip>
Your solution proves to me that there is no special ending 3 and upper (such I expected).
<snip>
This is not actually correct.  However, nested master repeats with special endings are not, which, given the layout you want, would be a logical approach.

It is the requirement to repeat the refrain with different endings AS WELL as repeating the verse and refain combination that is the problem.  Playback will only match the exact flow you want if you open out the refrain and don't use repeats in it.

Reply #6
so you mean that I should repeat measurenumber 17 - 23 after measure number 24 and call this special ending 1 and 2 and next  repeat all the notes again and call this special ending 3 (with the other ending)?
This means a lot of notes duplicated. I put a new version on the next url
home.wanadoo.nl/pjvanderkroon/Jingle%20bells_02.nwc
Is this what you mean?
And I uploaded the paper document of the notes (from which I entered the notes in NWC)
home.wanadoo.nl/pjvanderkroon/Scan.jpg

Reply #7
so you mean that I should repeat measurenumber 17 - 23 after measure number 24 and call this special ending 1 and 2 and next  repeat all the notes again and call this special ending 3 (with the other ending)?
This means a lot of notes duplicated. I put a new version on the next url
home.wanadoo.nl/pjvanderkroon/Jingle%20bells_02.nwc
Is this what you mean?

Not quite, see the attachment.  I haven't checked all the bar numbers, but you didn't need to repeat quite so much...

And I uploaded the paper document of the notes (from which I entered the notes in NWC)
home.wanadoo.nl/pjvanderkroon/Scan.jpg

Another possibility would be to use a Dal Segno or perhaps a Da Capo for the 2 & 4 ending and a D(efault) ending for the 6th BUT, this will only look OK, it will not play back correctly because of how flow controls are managed in NWC.

To explain, NWC does not permit Master repeats to function after a DS or DC directive until a Coda commences, when master repeats function again.

Reply #8
Hello Lawrie Pardy

thanks for your solution #03. I think this is the best and finest way to make the music in NWC for this version of Jingle Bells. My Christmas will be a little (more) better and that's on you behalf. Merry Christmas to you and the ones you love.

Reply #9
You are most welcome - A very merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to you and yours too.

Reply #10
If you don't mind I have another (little) question/problem in the same song. In measure 2 there is in verse 1 two words with a note (16th duration) and in verse 2 and 3 there is one word and should have a duration of eight.
Is there a way to do this?
It is about the lyrics:
verse 1: in a
verse 2: I
verse 3: So
In verse 1 should it be the way as it is in the file and in verse 2 and 3 should a slur between the 16th duration notes.

Reply #11
If you don't mind I have another (little) question/problem in the same song. In measure 2 there is in verse 1 two words with a note (16th duration) and in verse 2 and 3 there is one word and should have a duration of eight.
Is there a way to do this?
It is about the lyrics:
verse 1: in a
verse 2: I
verse 3: So
In verse 1 should it be the way as it is in the file and in verse 2 and 3 should a slur between the 16th duration notes.
I would put the slur in between the 16th duration notes.  In addition, select the second 16th note and go to its properties and make it "Lyric Syllable - Always".  Then, in vs. 2 and 3 ad an underscore after the words thus:
"I _ "
"So _ "
Make sure to leave spaces around the underscore.

In this case the uderscore acts as a syllable place holder whilst leaving a blank space in the lyrics in the editor and on the printouts.