Skip to main content
Topic: Invalid instrument tree (Read 18728 times) previous topic - next topic

Invalid instrument tree

I am having problems with instruments, using NWC V 2.1

Opening the “instrument” window with keyboard “I” and then “predetermined instruments”  shows an empty window and the message 
“Instrument Tree - Invalid instrument tree”

In the itrees folder in the NWC 2.1 folder are a  number of itrees including some copied over from NWC 2.0, where they work OK.
In NWC 2.1, I cannot select an instrument for play back

I have tried everything I can think of including re-installing NWC 2.1 with no solution.

When it comes to playing an existing composition with NWC 2.1, everything works normally, with the correct insruments in orchestral pieces for example.  But the Instrument window still shows "Invalid instrument tree"

Tony

Re: Invalid instrument tree

Reply #1
Tony,

I just seemsthat yourcurrent one hasbecome corrupt somehow.
Have you tried changing it to a different itree ?
(Press I to get to the instrument list. Click on predefined instruments and then click the change list button.)
Select a different itree and see it it works.

Post back here if you need a replacement itree.
Rich.

Reply #2
I would look at your 'Instrument Trees:' folder in the Folders Options Dialog Tab. Chances are that the folder does not exist or contains no valid itree files.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
i am sorry, my explanation did not get over clearly.

I cannot select another itree in the "I" instrument option window  "Change List" actually opens up my Music folder!

The NWC 2.1 itrees folder contains several itrees. Some, such as "Classic" are copied from NWC2.0, where they function prefectly.

"Tools>Options>Folders" lists amongst others  :-
"Instrument Trees -  Location- M\NoteworthyComposer 2.1\itrees"   which is where the program is located.

My last resource is to re-download the NWC 2.1 program, but I have already exhausted my entitlement to further downloads because of a series of PC failures. I have a back-up of the last successful download and I have used this for the latest re-install to no good effect.

Tony

Reply #4
"Tools>Options>Folders" lists amongst others  :-
"Instrument Trees -  Location- M\NoteworthyComposer 2.1\itrees"   which is where the program is located.
That is probably not an existing Folder on your system.

When I select 'Instrument Trees:' from the Folders Options Dialog Tab and click on 'Modify...', I get a Folder Name popup. The 'Folder:' field contains:
C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\itrees
For NWC to work, this field must be empty, or contain a valid location.

I infer that you have NWC 2.0 and NWC 2.1 running on the same computer. Both use the same area of the Registry. Changes made to the configuration of one version will most likely change the configuration of the other version.

I am just describing the way NWC works. Your installation appears to differ from mine, so I feel unable to offer a solution.

Reply #5
Tony, do you actually have an M drive? most people don't. Is it possible that the path simply has the wrong drive letter?

Reply #6
My PC has three hard drives, each of which is partitioned into two drives, They are labelled C,D,L,M,N and O!
 Noteworthy and associated files are on the M drive.

Tony

Reply #7
My PC has three hard drives, each of which is partitioned into two drives, They are labelled C,D,L,M,N and O!
 Noteworthy and associated files are on the M drive.
Then you need a colon after the M

Reply #8
Good catch, Rick. I didn't notice that.

Reply #9
The entry in Noteworthy Composer Options reads:-

(File Types) Instrument Trees  (Location) M: Noteworthy Composer 2.1\itrees

However I note that the reference in Noteworthy Composer Options for Noteworthy 2 is exactly the same - it references the v 2.1 folder. But the Instrument function works perfectly in V 2.0!

Tony

Reply #10
The entry in Noteworthy Composer Options reads:-

(File Types) Instrument Trees  (Location) M: Noteworthy Composer 2.1\itrees
That is not a valid location either. There cannot be a space after the colon.

I can reproduce what you describe if I run one of the NWC versions from a thumb drive and the the thumb drive is not present when when running one of the other versions.

I suspect that the same is true for a floppy, a CD, a DVD, a drive created with subst.exe, a network drive, or a dual boot machine.

Reply #11
There cannot be a space after the colon.

Well, since in this case the path is much better if it's absolute, then the path is missing also the very first backslash:

M:\Noteworthy Composer 2.1\itrees

Reply #12
Well, since in this case the path is much better if it's absolute, then the path is missing also the very first backslash:

M:\Noteworthy Composer 2.1\itrees
Those are assumptions that I would not make.
It it is invalid, it is not improved by making it absolute.

Reply #13
Right, but if it's relative then it's relative to whatever directory is the "current" directory for that drive.
A very dangerous statement if not included in a script that beforehand sets that directory.

Anyway the core is the same: wrong path.

Reply #14
Right, but if it's relative then it's relative to whatever directory is the "current" directory for that drive.
A very dangerous statement if not included in a script that beforehand sets that directory.

Anyway the core is the same: wrong path.
This is a useless discussion.

Reply #15
Opening the “instrument” window with keyboard “I” and then “predetermined instruments”  shows an empty window and the message 
“Instrument Tree - Invalid instrument tree”
I have tried everything I can think of including re-installing NWC 2.1 with no solution.

A hint of the problem is here:
Beta 2.09 is now available. Change log:

• Changing the Instrument Tree is remembered for future NWC2 sessions
The message “Instrument Tree - Invalid instrument tree” appears when the Instrument Tree that NWC2 remembers cannot be opened.

The fix is to click on 'Change List...'
An Open dialog pops up. Use it to navgate to a folder that contains *.nwcitree files. Typically this folder will be named itrees
Open one of the *.nwcitree files.

Reply #16
Rick ,

Many many thanks for that advice -- it worked!!

Tony

Reply #17
I'm amazed !  That's essentially what I said in the first reply to Tony's initial post.

I must be writing a different language that no-one understands.  :(

Rich.

Reply #18
Rich,
don't be too sad -
I suspect that all of us, occasionally miss seeing / hearing/ finding VERY obvious things.
(I: More OFTEN than occasionally.)

My TIMEX wrist watch had been missing ever since (months ago) I'd last had blood drawn for tests.

Today, a cool, misty morning, I decided to put on a fleece jacket (the one which I hardly ever wear)>
PRONTO: Out drops the missing watch.

Reply #19
That's essentially what I said in the first reply to Tony's initial post.

I assume that you refer to:
Select a different itree and see it it works.

I think that Tony understood you:
I cannot select another itree in the "I" instrument option window  "Change List" actually opens up my Music folder!
From there, it is not obvious that the user needs to navagate the File Open dialog out of the 'My Documents' domain and into 'My Computer' to find *.nwcitree files.

So yes, I restated your advice and added:
An Open dialog pops up. Use it to navgate to a folder that contains *.nwcitree files.

IMO, it would be clearer if NWC changed the 'Files of type:' field from "NWC Instrument Lists" to "Instrument Trees (*.nwcitree)"

I must be writing a different language that no-one understands.  :(
And you spell funny too :)

Reply #21
By spelling do you mean the word "navagate"??