Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Font Bank Manager and Windows 7 (Read 8931 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Font Bank Manager and Windows 7

I have recently started with a new PC with Windows 7, using my previous Creative Audigy sound card.
Even with the alleged latest drivers the Sound Font Bank Manager will not nstall and I cannot use my favoured Organ sound fonts.
As usual it seems impossible to contact anyone at Creative.

Tony

Re: Sound Font Bank Manager and Windows 7

Reply #1
Yup - Creative do not support older cards correctly in Win7 - it's their way of forcing you to buy new hardware...  See if you can locate a suitable "KX" project driver.  They're more complicated to use but support soundfonts correctly.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
They're more complicated to use but support soundfonts correctly.

Well, almost...

I didn't replied to Tony because I don't use win7. You know: sometimes I still use win2000! :-)

But KX drivers give me problems with big soundfonts.
I never investigated too much so far.

Then there is the problem of... I don't remember how the MIDI specs call it, it's the fact that you need to stop the hi-hat, triangle and perhaps another percussion when you use a different mode of the same instrument, e.g. open-closed hi-hat, open-muted triangle...
I already wrote that here somewhere.

Then there is the problem that the effects (reverb, chorus etc.) MUST be controlled from a specific device. You can not put a MPC in the staff you want affected.

And, to finish, I'm unable to download or put up any of the various skins that I hoped were more clear than the default one.

I'm considering switching to a fully SW solution to solve all that for the KX project seems almost dead.
Were the project open source!

Reply #3
I had exactly the same experience, Tony. Gave it up and went to a software synth. I suggest investigating SyFonOne together with a virtual MIDI port (I use LoopBe1). It's easy to set up and doesn't require any additional software or hardware, and best of all, it's free. Do not, however, try to use it with the recommended ASIO speaker driver. That combination is likely to cause your machine to freeze up if you leave it long enough for it to try to go into power-saving mode. A win7 machine will probably have enough power to overcome the latency problem the ASIO driver is designed to solve, anyway.

Bill

Reply #4
Thanks for the advice.

In have now removed my Creative card and reverted to the onboard sound which is of good quality but cannot import Sound Fonts.
Much trawling on the Internet reveals that the problem is not unusual. I do not intend to spend another £50-£70 for a new Creative card which is still not guaranteed to work!
The suggestion to use SyFonOne with a virtual port looked interesting but following it up scared me off.

With all its faults Creative Audigy was easy to use
a)   download sf sound font
b)   open Sound Font  Bank Manager
c)   select destination bank
d)   select desired sound font
e)   load sound font

and apart from the sometimes laborious process of writing an i-tree the sounds are immediately available

Tony