Skip to main content
Topic: lyrics for Rumanian carol Domnulet (Read 16606 times) previous topic - next topic

lyrics for Rumanian carol Domnulet

Hi, I'm trying to enter the following text into the lyrics of this carol.  It's in Tahoma at the moment, but when I paste it into the lyrics box and ok it, it doesn't show the special characters, and the t of Domnulet comes up as a query mark.  Can anyone tell me how to make it display properly, please?  Thanks.

1.Ma-rei sea-ră de-a-stă sea-ră. Dom-nu-leț şi Domn din cer. Si nui sea-ra de-a-stă sea-ră. Dom-nu-leț şi Domn din cer. Ci e sea-ră lui Cră-ciun, Lui Cră-ciun ce-lui bat-rân. Când sa nă-scut Fi-ul sfânt, Fi-ul sfânt pea-cest pă-mânt. Noi um-blăm si co-lin dăm. Dom-nu-leț şi Domn din cer. Ce-stor fe-te ne’-nch’i-năm. Dom-nu-leț şi Domn din cer. Domn din cer.

Re: lyrics for Rumanian carol Domnulet

Reply #1
Change the Staff Lyric font to one that contains the characters you need. You'll find the fonts change dialogue on the Fonts tab of the Page Setup dialogue box (the one that appears when you press the button that looks like an open book). Highlight the Staff Lyric font in the fonts list and press the Modify button.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.  I've tried that.  I have the text in an Open Office document, which I highlighted, copied, pasted into the lyrics window of the staff in Noteworthy, and changed the lyrics font to Tahoma, which was the font used in the OO document, but the special characters don't show. They just show as ordinary characters or as '?' in the case of the 't'.

Reply #3
This might help. The glyphs are in the Central Europe Script. The mappings are from Windows Character Map.

This is why NoteWorthy behaves as it does:
On systems that support Unicode, Unicode characters can be entered into the Lyrics Editor. NoteWorthy does not support Unicode. When you close the Lyrics Editor, NoteWorthy translates Unicode characters into a question mark and the Unicode input is lost.
One way to tell if a chracter is Unicode only is to paste it into NotePad. If you try to save it as Encoding:ANSI, NotePad will warn you about losing characters.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thanks for the reply.  I've tried that.  I have the text in an Open Office document, which I highlighted, copied, pasted into the lyrics window of the staff in Noteworthy, and changed the lyrics font to Tahoma, which was the font used in the OO document, but the special characters don't show. They just show as ordinary characters or as '?' in the case of the 't'.
This is the exact reason that I created the "*TextEuro" versions of my font suites.

If you check out the Scriptorium (http://www.nwc-scriptorium.org) and go to the fonts page (http://nwc-scriptorium.org/sfontr.html) you will find a link to the "PardyPack".  This contains 3 font suites (totalling 16 fonts in all).  Each suite has a common theme:
  • SwingDings - a jazzy, handwritten look
  • MusikDingsSans - a sans serif font much like Arial
  • MusikDingsSerif - a serif font much like Times New Roman (this would be an acceptable alternative to Tahoma IMHO)

The suite component fonts are designed to be used together I.E. if you use NWC2MusikDingsSerif.ttf for your system font then MusikTextSerif OR MusikTextEuroSerif would be the text font to use, with MusikDingsSerif as the symbol font (if you want one) and MusikChordSerif as the text chord font (again, if you want one)

In your case, the above combination is the most appropriate given that you are choosing to use a serif font (Tahoma).  If you want to see what the different typefaces look like then visit my web site (http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au) and look at the example PDF's.  The fonts are also available in .zip format here in individual suites.

The *TextEuro variants will give you exactly what you need and will work properly in the lyrics - they are NOT unicode fonts.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
<EDIT>
Oops - in looking further at this issue I've discovered some mapping errors in the *TextEuro fonts.  I will need to correct these - this is frustrating because I went to a lot of effort to avoid errors and have missed mistakes with several characters that are, in fact, there, but are mapped incorrectly.  I cannot do the corrections overnight but I'll make them available as soon as I can.

This also raises the problem of distribution - there are many thousands of copies of these fonts out there that I know of - possibly many thousands more that I don't know of...

Given that I must make these corrections, are there any additional characters that should be included?  Euro variant fonts only please...  Be aware that there isn't a lot of room available for extras...

Rick, thank you for inspiring me to check this.  I actually found the problem when I decided to have a go at reproducing the sample in weaver91's original post.

Weaver91, thank you for raising the issue so I could find the problem in my suites.  I'm sorry they won't help you yet, I hope your time frame is not too short for my corrections to reach you in time.

If the specific letter isn't there, which is possible, there are also characters that enable you to create them with 2 characters.  E.G for "t" cedilla place the "t" followed by chr$0184 (<Alt+0184> from the number pad = ¸) which will appear under the "t" and create the required composite character.

I knew when I created the suite that I wouldn't get every character so I made some marks with an offset so they could be used with other characters to create composites.  It should be possible to make most things that might be required that aren't there.

Reply #7
Thanks Rick,

This has again tweaked my curiosity on a subject that I had previously had issues with but had subsequently given up with !
Please can you explain a bit further.

I can download and see your characters in the nwc file you supplied. But when I try to replicate what you have done, I run into difficulties.

How have you got the Central European characters from the Windows Character Map?

If I load the Character Map program, change to Tahoma, click to advanced view, I can then select the Central Europe character set.
Now, if I select and copy characters from there and put them into Notepad, I still get the message about characters in unicode.  So it would seem that even though I have selected Central European, I still have Unicode.

Have I missed something ?  (probably !)

Thanks.
Rich.

Reply #8
How have you got the Central European characters from the Windows Character Map?
See the attachment. (0xFE) translates to Alt+0254
To create: Topic 7905 rg02.nwc , I used a bit of search and replace.

It was tedious. I am working on an easier way to convert unicode to ANSI (for a given Script).

Reply #9
Hmm,  Just doesn't work for me.

You are not doing anything different than I tried.  (I've even had the scientific calculator out to make sure I was hex to decing correctly.

If I go into notepad, select tahoma with central European, and do an ALT + 0254, I get þ
If I do a straight copy, I get ţ   but this appears to be unicode.

Must be a different setting somewhere?
Rich.

Reply #10
Hello everyone,
Many thanks for all the advice, I've downloaded and installed the Pardypack - thanks Lawrie - and followed the instructions you gave about which fonts to use, but it still doesn't work.  Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong, but when I used 'Typecase' to look at what's in the MusicTextEuroSerif.ttf font, there is no occurrence of the ă or the ş, and you've already mentioned the ț.  I can get around the sedilla problems with the s and t using Alt + 0184, but can't see how to get around the ă.
Thanks again for all your advice, I shall return in the hope that someone can come up with an answer.

Reply #11
Hello,
Me again, sorry, just tried the s followed by Alt + 0184, but the ',' didn't appear under the s.  Tried formatting the two outside Noteworthy by condensing the space between them but it wouldn't get close enough.  Any suggestions, please?

Reply #12
G'day Weaver91
Alt + 0184 will give you a cedilla (the little comma thingy) but ONLY if you use one of my *TextEuro fonts.

I guess 3 questions are in order:
a) do you know how to install fonts?
b) have you downloaded and installed any of my fonts (the Pardypack mentioned earlier)?
and
c) do you know how to use alternative fonts in NWC?

Please remember also that I've discovered some faults in my fonts that will take me some time to correct.

Reply #13
Hello Lawrie,
Thanks for your reply,
Ah!  I didn't try the Alt 0184 with the TextEuro font, I'll give that a go, thanks.
(a and b) yes, I do know how to install fonts, and I've run your executable, and all the fonts in your PardyPack are present in the Windows Fonts directory.
(c) I'm assuming you're referring to changing the fonts in the Page Setup.  If this is the case, yes, I know how to do that, but if you're referring to something else, no, I don't.

Reply #14
Hi Lawry,

Thanks for your great work with these fonts.

Do your fonts include the Maltese Characters (dotted c, dotted z, dotted g and the h with a small horizontal bar through its' vertical line) thus : ĠġĦħŻżĊċ.

These can be found in the Unicode character set but alas, Noteworthy does not support that (actually we should be begging Eric not you ...)

If they are not available, will you at least consider if I say "please" ?

Thanks once again for offering us work-arounds.

Reply #15
Hmm,  Just doesn't work for me. If I go into notepad, select tahoma with central European, and do an ALT + 0254, I get þ
Don't use notepad. "do an ALT + 0254" in NWC's Lyric Editor. Click on OK. If the song uses a Lyric font that is set to Script:'Central European' , you should see a 'Latin Small Letter T With Cedilla'

Reply #16
Thanks Rick,

I actually got there and did that a few hours ago.  Yes, that works OK - though it's strange that in the actual Lyric editor, it shows the unicode character but in NoteWorthy, once you have entered it, it shows the Central European Script.  Most confusing when you are putting in lyrics I should think.

No wonder there is so much problem with converting programs to work in unicode.
Rich.

Reply #17
G'day Weaver91,
that about covers it.  You're really only waiting for my fixes.  I don't know how long it will take me to get to them but I will do it as quickly as I can.  My business situation has changed with the loss of a critical staff member and i must fill in for her until I can find a suitable replacement (which won't be easy), thus my time has become very limited.

Melismata,
provided I have enough room under the 254 character mark, I see no reason they shouldn't appear in the font.

Reply #18
Yippeee!!  It works!!!  Thanks Rick, I installed the Cenral European font (from http://www.slovo.info/eurocp.htm (sixth one down)) and now I can get all the ones I need , the ă using Alt+0227, t cedilla using Alt+0254, ş using Alt+0186, and the 'a circumflex' using Alt+0226.  Problem solved!  It has lots of other special characters which I haven't seen in other fonts. Thanks too, to Lawry and everyone who replied.  What a great place this is!

Reply #19
Yippee!! It works for me as well with Maltese characters!!!  I used the Maltese font called "Tornado" which has been in existance since Win 3.1 (yes, that's right) and set user1 to call this font.  But I had to dig up some old floppies (yes, that's right again) to find the font.

But I still yearn for Unicode compatability.  It's so much easier to use.

Thanks to all.