Skip to main content
Topic: Note Spacing (Read 10641 times) previous topic - next topic

Note Spacing

Noteworthy suddenly seems to have started to space notes strangely. In one bar, for instance, it will space the notes out instead of making them adjacent. It is rather like in a word processor, aligning left, or right or centred. Anyone have any clue?

Re: Note Spacing

Reply #1
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/MNU_PAGESETUP.htm
Increase note spacing for larger note durations
This option controls whether notes are padded with space on their right as the duration increases. For example, when this option is checked, whole notes will be padded on their right, keeping other notes from getting too close on the staff. Turn this option off to get as many notes as possible to fit into the space used by the staff.

If you see any examples of of where you think:
Noteworthy suddenly seems to have started to space notes strangely.
in the sample files, knowing the file, staff and measure might help.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Increasing spacing for larger notes is turned off. If I could work out how to post an example, I could show you. I have a bar which has a semibreve followed by three crotchets. The semibreve and the first 2 crotchets are spaced normally, but the third crotchet is placed at the end of the bar with a large gap.

Reply #3
7 beats in the bar... what time signature?  Sounds like you have a bar alignment problem with other staves, not a spacing problem.  Is the semibreve supposed to be chorded with a crotchet rest to give 4 beats in the bar?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I've not used a time signature, because the music is plainsong, and I've only used bar lines to indicate stresses in the text.

Reply #5
Are there multiple staves?  If so, can you hide the other staves and see if the alignment problem still occurs?

Reply #6
Lyrics also play havoc with note spacing.

Reply #7
The spacing problem occurs before I've added lyrics.

Reply #8
I can't duplicate the behavior using your description alone. What else is going on in the piece at that point? Are there multiple staves, as Lawrie suggested? That could make a big difference. So could performance indications, text objects, or any other score inclusions that happen to have the "preserve width" box checked. (You'll find that on the "Expression Placement" tab in the Properties dialog box - the one that comes up when you highlight a bit of the score and press <alt><enter>.)

Reply #9
Assuming you are a licensed NWC2 user, if you follow this link: https://www.noteworthysoftware.com/order/authorize.php and fill in the blanks, you can upgrade your forum membership to a level that will allow you to post files.  In turn you can then post a copy of the offending section and we can look at it for you.  Seeing the problem will make it far easier for us to diagnose for you.

Reply #10
Just copy the measure to the clipboard, past it into a reply and wrap it a code tag like this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
We can download it and uncheck 'Increase note spacing for larger note durations'

Reply #11
Here is one relevant section:

|Clef|Type:Treble
|Text|Text:"R"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:0

Reply #12
That looks how I would expect it on my system.  Have you tried pasting that snippet as a new file on your system to see if the problem you're seeing follows it?

Reply #13
The clip looks fine on my system too.  Check your Page Setup options (the third tab).  See if toggling the Increase spacing for longer notes or the Justify printed systems options has any effect.

Reply #14
All I can do at this point is to echo Lawrie and David. This excerpt shows no gaps on my screen when "Increase spacing for longer notes" is unchecked. I note, though, that your excerpt doesn't include a barline, and doesn't match your earlier description of the point where you were having a problem. Could you post that section, including the barlines before and after? And could you please let us know the answer to Lawrie's question about whether your score has multiple staves? If you have two simultaneous staves with different barring, gaps will occur in one staff where barlines exist in the other staff. This is proper behavior.

Bill

Reply #15
I've now removed all the bar lines and I get this:
|Text|Text:"R"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:-8
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:0

Reply #16
Twatmough, it's difficult to help when you switch examples.

The attached image is what I get in Version 2.5 Test preview 21 with your latest example, and the spacing is fine.

Hmmm, try entering a time signature and appropriate bar lines to see if they cure the spacing problem.  If they do, then set their visibility to never but leave them in the music.

It is difficult to help more without the answers to these questions, already asked by others:

Are there multiple staves?
If so, can you hide the other staves and see if the alignment problem still occurs?
What else is going on in the piece at that point?

Have you tried pasting that snippet as a new file on your system to see if the problem you're seeing follows it?
Could you post that section, including the barlines before and after?

And could you please let us know the answer to Lawrie's question about whether your score has multiple staves?

It may also help to know which version of Windows you're running, which version of NWC, and what type of computer you're using.