Skip to main content
Topic: many rests (Read 9725 times) previous topic - next topic

many rests

In one of my choir music books I see a digit in the score, which means the number of rest measures (it's my song book, I haven't to sing during the rests, the organ is playing).
How do I set this into my NWC-file?

Re: many rests

Reply #1
The very easiest way is:
set the required number of full measure rests and then run the "Multi Bar Rest" user tool.

Of course, there are a few prerequisites for running user tools, plus an extra one for this tool:
Install the user tool starter kit: http://my.noteworthysoftware.com/?topic=5537.0

Install Kjelds Multi Bar Rest user tool: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts_mbr.html

Install the correct user font to give the necessary characters: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts
While Boxmark2 is specified for this tool, any of my font suites will work too as the suite title fonts are mapped identically to Boxmark2 (with additions)

This thread contains an example of a manual substitution: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5288.msg34040#msg34040

<Edits in italics>

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I made a change in Boxmarks2 and I made a slight change in the multi-bar rest script to produce the effect in the attached.

Reply #3
G'day Robin,
looks nice.

Using the : and ; characthers with the appropriate numerals in between from any of my *Dings suites will give a very similar result.  I just have the number placed entirely above the staff.

Like yours, the multibar rest script needs a slight modification to use the correct characters as I left the original MBR characters from Boxmark2 unchanged in order to maintain backward compatibility.

Reply #5
G'day Robin,
hmm, I think I like my approach better (I would wouldn't I?)... ;)

My reasoning is thus, with the modification you've made to the number characters (adding the "beam" for the MBR) it means the numbers aren't suitable for use elswhere (I.E. non MBR usage).  Now, I know the only likely use for these numbers is as unboxed sectional markers/major bar numbers, which is probably not very common, but it does still happen.  This in turn means you've lost backwared compatibility.

My approach for the MBR glyph(s) for use under the number was to place them as low as possible in the character vertical space AND to extend horizontally well beyound the horizontal space used boundary.  This in turn allowed me to use them, with the standard numbers, such that the MBR glyphs overlapped to form a continuous beam, with the number comfortable above.

This way I maintained complete backward compatibility with Boxmarks and Boxmark2 while still schieving my goal.  I haven't looked at your modified script.

I also noted that while you changed some of the internal naming, you missed the Postscript names which are still Boxmark2.  Was this deliberate or an oversight?

Reply #6
Lawrie,

Likely an oversight, or simple incompetence on account of my lack of familiarity with things. 

I'd like to study your approach.  I used to do something different when I did all this "by hand".  What I did sounds like what you've done.

I know that I've lost something with what I've done, but I didn't worry about it, as I still have Boxmarks2

Robin

Reply #7
G'day Robin,
I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Reply #8
Lawrie,

I may have a few in a couple of weeks.  We'll be away much of next week & I'll be getting ready to go this week. I need to know my way round fontographer better than I do.

Robin

Reply #9
Maybe, I don't understand what to do.
I downloaded the MultiBarRest from the NWC-Scriptorium to the Scripts-directory
I downloaded the User Tool Starter Kit and I ran the installer.
I installed the Boxmark and the Boxmark2 fonts into the fonts (using Control Panel in Windows 7).

I opened a random NWC-file which contains multiple rests and set the User Font 2 to Boxmark2
When I open Tools - User Tools (Alt-F8) I didn't see like multibarrest

What do I have to do now or what was going wrong?

Reply #10
When I open Tools - User Tools (Alt-F8) I didn't see like multibarrest
Click on New.. and fill out the 'User Tool Description' form.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #11
Thank you very much!
In my music file the first staff starts with 13 measures of rest, then some measures to sing, some rest-measures again, and so on
the second staff starts with 30 measures.

I don't want to see "- 30 -" into the second staff, but also "- 13 -" for the first 13 measures. Measure #14 should be a visible rest, because in staff #1 measure #14 contains notes.
So I wish that the script should count the rest-measure where ALL staffs have a rest.
What do I have to do?

Reply #12
User tools only work on one staff at a time, however, if you make a selection first (highlight the section of staff you want affected) and then run the tool it will only operate on that section of the staff.

Reply #13
I enter 1 whole rest and then and using the text expression feature enter the required number inserted it above the rest symbol
                                      rik

Reply #14
Hi Rik,
that works for a single instrument score, but not for an ensemble or orchestra score as then you need to keep the bar counts consistent.

Reply #15
Hi Rik,
I second Lawrie's comment for two reasons: 

1  He's right about the bar count.
2  The multibar rest symbol should be a horizontal line that is longer than a whole rest.  It also should be long enough that the number above it doesn't hide the line. 

The Multibar rest user tool tool works like a dream, and is very fast.  If you don't trust a macro, though, you could simply download my multibarrest.nwc file from the Scriptorium, open it and copy the appropriate MBR line into your file.

Reply #16
I enter 1 whole rest and then and using the text expression feature enter the required number inserted it above the rest symbol
This is a common practice. To align with other parts, add hidden rests/barlines or fiddle with hidden TimeSigs. I don't do it because I like the visual impact of church rests and/or the standard multibar rest whose width increases with its duration.
Registered user since 1996