Skip to main content
Topic: Opening Whole Measure Rest Position Fix (Read 18638 times) previous topic - next topic

Opening Whole Measure Rest Position Fix

When a staff begins with a Whole Measure Rest, NWC doesn't center it correctly in Print Preview.
The fix is to insert a Visibility:Never bar line after the time signature.

The fix is shown for the Viola staff in the attachment.
A bar line can be added on each staff, but is only needed on those starting with a Whole Measure Rest.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Opening Whole Measure Rest Position Fix

Reply #1
Good fix!
Since 1998

Reply #2
Great discovery! Now I have to fix my entire catalog.

Remember to  omit from bar count.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
Remember to  omit from bar count.
I thought that too.  Turns out that since no notes precede the new bar line so making a change to the bar count attribute isn't necessary.

Rick doesn't miss much and didn't miss here.
Since 1998

Reply #4
I wonder if it is too much to ask that this bug would get fixed?

Reply #5
This is a good way to better control the boundaries for centering a Whole Measure Rest. For additional commentary on this issue, please refer to the following post from Back Stage:

Problem 2 is a complex issue that is going to require a larger release to deal with properly. Currently, ...

Reply #6
Looks like this Tip is now unneeded.

Reply #7
Centering is more consistent with NWC 2.5.2, but your tip still has practical application when one or more of the whole rests bars includes signature items that do not appear in the other parts.

Reply #8
Looks like this Tip is now unneeded.

Rick,

Did you have something else that is not visible in your 2.5.0 / 2.5.2 example?

The 2.5.2 picture appears to have the Viola WMR slightly to the left of the others in the first measure, however, I have been unable to replicate this after constructing the same system.
Rich.

Reply #9
I used the attachment at the top of the page.

Reply #10
Ahh thanks - missed that.

It is the hidden barline causing the slight misalignment.
Rich.

Reply #13
I used the attachment at the top of the page.

This topic highlights the fact that hidden bar lines can be used to create boundaries around whole measure rests that can control centering. The posted attachment only applies this technique to one part. If the technique is applied to all parts containing a measure rest, then they would all share the same boundary, and would align. Changes in version 2.5.2 make this less necessary, but on occasion, very useful.

Reply #14
Changes in version 2.5.2 make this less necessary, but on occasion, very useful.
Just looking for examples of those occasions. My example at the top is no longer such an occasion.

Reply #15
Just looking for examples of those occasions. My example at the top is no longer such an occasion.

Don't have time to check at the moment but what about an orchestral score with a number of transposing instruments ?
Would the different key sigs cause a difference?
Rich.

Reply #16
Would the different key sigs cause a difference?

Not by themselves (as of version 2.5.2).

Clef or key changes appearing in just some parts (such as 1812 sample, bar 162) are the main issue now, but they do not happen very often.

The version 2.5.2 centering technique for starting system bars can also leave the whole measure rest a little too much to the right of center, but the offset is subtle, and less noticeable as the bar width increases.