Skip to main content
Topic: Music List (Read 3946 times) previous topic - next topic

Music List

How can I print out a list of the music I have entered in NWC. Sometime I forget what's in the list and copy the same song.

Re: Music List

Reply #1
Edit - see next reply
Well, perhaps there are one or two methods you can use - but perhaps those of us that have been around for a while would resort to a command prompt.

You don't say which windows system you have but generally, if you can find an icon on your desktop that says command or cmd then you can use that.
If you can't see that, if you can get to the "Run" command, then enter CMD into that.
This will give you a command prompt (or a DOS box)
Now, when you get the command box, it will tell you the current drive and directory it is in.
The drive is likely to be the c Drive. If your noteworthy files are on a different drive (say the D drive) then just type d: and press the enter key.

If your files are on the drive listed (ie the c drive) then just type cd \ and press return. This will position your system to the root of the drive.

Now, it would be better to change directory to the highest folder where your nwc files are. So suppose you have your nwc files in a folder called Program Files\Noteworthy Composer2\Samples then type CD "Program Files\Noteworthy Composer2\Samples" and press enter.
You are going to create a file that contains the names of all your NoteWorthy Files but the root of some drives does not allow this and so the command takes you to where the files are.

Now all you need to do is to type the following command and press enter .
Dir *.nwc /s /b > myfile.txt

This will search the current folder and sub folders and  will create a file called myfile.txt. In it will be all of your NoteWorthy files together with the folder they reside in. You can then load this file into a text ediitor to read.

Please be aware that depending on which windows system you are using, you may get some problems with long file names. If you seem to have that problem, report back here.

Anyone know an easier way than this ? (I think NWCInfo would also be complex)
Rich.

Reply #2
Silly me. Just thought of a much easier way of doing this.

Load up your text processor (notepad or wordpad)

In there, type the following :

dir *.nwc /s /b > mylisting.txt

Now, save this as a batch file (.bat) to the top folder of where your NoteWorthy files are).

So for example, save the file as dodir.bat  to the NoteWorthy folder.

Now use normal windows explorer to look at that folder and you will see the file.
Just double click on dodir.bat and it will then create the file mylisting.txt in the same folder. This will be a listing of your nwc files.
Job done.
Rich.

Reply #3
I assume that NWCInfo is an old tool, and no longer supported?  Would it help if nwc-conv could be used instead?  Unfortunately, the latter does not seem to have the handy "list" option.  So might this crude solution work?

for /r %%F in (*.nwc) do call nwc-conv.exe "%%F" info

Put the above in a batch file, and then redirect its standard output to a catalog file.  [You might see some errors where it tries to process "nwcitree" files (in addition to "nwc" and "nwctxt"), but they are not much harm.]  Run the batch file from the directory where nwc-conv is, or specify its path in the batch file.  Add the nwc-conv "-t" option if needed.

Apologies in advance if this is no help.

Now that I have a copy of NWCInfo (thanks for the link), I see that it works fine.  Only problem I had was that "nwctxt" and "nwcitree" files were attempted as well (it tried to "repair" them - yikes).  The following took care of that:
dir *.nwc /s /b | find /v "nwctxt" | find /v "nwcitree" | nwcinfo.exe /list

The only reason to use nwc-conv as above would now be if you wanted copyright and/or play time in your catalog.

Reply #4
Rich wrote
Silly me. Just thought of a much easier way of doing this...Now use normal windows explorer to look at that folder and you will see the file.

Works like a hot damn!  Thanks, Rich, for reminding me that DOS commands can still be used.  This will be very useful from time to time.  I'm very grateful.

Reply #5
NWCInfo is available here : http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/ .  There is nothing to suggest that it is an old or unsupported tool - infact it was updated for version 2.  I expect it will be updated when the next set of betas go live.
Rich.

Reply #6
Perhaps Rick forgot he got NWC to update NWCInfo for NWC2!  :-)

See edit to my post above.