Skip to main content
Topic: Editing dynamic and style markings (Read 3493 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing dynamic and style markings

When I try to edit dynamics and style markings above the stave, it usually erases the stave with notes etc as well as the characters in the directions I am trying to change.  Anyone know the right way?

Re: Editing dynamic and style markings

Reply #1
Are you perhaps accidently hitting Ctrl-D (which deletes the current staff) instead of Ctrl-E (to edit the current selection)?

Reply #2
This may be a matter of making sure you've highlighted only the dynamic you want to edit (if you're using delete) or making sure you have the cursor placed directly after the dynamic (if you're using backspace). An NWC file is a single string of characters - things above and below other things are placed there via formatting loops as the program reads the file. Look for an anchor (either a small ship's anchor or a tiny diamond) to the left of the object you want to edit and highlight the anchor to edit or delete the object. If you can't find an anchor, the object is shown in its actual position and at its actual width, and in that case you can simply highlight the object itself. ("Object" here can be a dynamic, a note, a barline - any symbol you've placed in the score.)

Reply #3
Hi InterdOg, welcome aboard the forum!  

Like your transposition problem, this seems quite unusual.  If Rick and William haven't already solved your problem, please let us know .

• are you using NWC2 or NWC1.75
  • what your operating system is
  • if your computer is a desktop or a laptop (keyboard layouts differ)
  • is the keyboard set to American or some other setting? and
  • exactly what steps you used that caused the problem.
    characters in the directions I am trying to change

Reply #4
When I try to edit dynamics and style markings ...
First off, make sure that Viewer Mode is turned off. F11 toggles between Viewer and Editor Mode. It takes quite a bit of experience do do much editing in Viewer Mode.

In Editor Mode, NoteWorthy tries to strike a balance between allowing each item to be selected with the mouse and retaining the look of printed music. It doesn't always succeed, some things are still difficult to select individually. Sometimes this doesn't matter - your edit may change the correct item, but when you are new to NoteWorthy it is difficult to know what has been changed.

If you are editing a class of items, such as each dynamic or each performance style, an alternative is to use the Find Command. Position the cursor well before the first dynamic you wish to edit and press CTRL+F. Select 'Dynamic' from the By Category list and click OK. NoteWorthy will find and select the next Dynamic to the right of the cursor. Each time you press F3, NoteWorthy will advance to and select the next Dynamic until there are no more.

Press CTRL+F and select 'Performance Style' and proceed as above to edit each of them.
Registered user since 1996