Skip to main content
Topic: Transposing glitch ? (Read 2572 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposing glitch ?

I wrote a little piece for clarinet and piano in f MINOR,  by writing the clarinet part in the necessary written key of G minor while the piano written in F minor.
That way I figured I'd have the clt part ready for the performer. It went OK.
Then, to listen to the piece I transposed the clt part down 2 semi tones and there it was now in F minor per the concert sound intended.
After one play, the clt sound as rendered moved down 1/2 a tone to E minor, while the written part remained correct in F minor!

Anyone seen this?

Also, in a multi staff piece how do you print out individual parts easily?

Learning curve person.

Re: Transposing glitch ?

Reply #1
1.  Look at Staff Properties for the clarinet staff.  Under the Instrument tab, did the Transposition somehow get changed from what you wanted?

2.  Look at Page Setup.  Under the Contents tab, you can deselect the staffs that you want to hide temporarily for printing purposes.

Reply #2
To check transposition, press R for Score Review. If your parts are all in the same Key, the Trans column should be all the same (usually +0). If your parts have different Key signatures, the values should vary.

For printing parts, see: Printing Parts For Ensemble Members
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
After one play, the clt sound as rendered moved down 1/2 a tone to E minor, while the written part remained correct in F minor!
I have never experienced this, so I suspect it's the way you did the transposition.

I wrote a little piece for clarinet and piano in f MINOR,  by writing the clarinet part in the necessary written key of G minor while the piano written in F minor.  ... That way I figured I'd have the clt part ready for the performer. It went OK.  ... Then, to listen to the piece I transposed the clt part down 2 semi tones and there it was now in F minor per the concert sound intended.

Unless you are comfortable writing in two keys, there's a much easier way.  Compose both parts in concert pitch, then transpose the clarinet part UP two semitones, with Update Staff Tranposition checked.   That way the playback will remain right, but the notes and the key signature for the clarinet part will be correct for the musician.

It takes maybe 2 seconds to transpose, so if you urgently need to print the finished clarinet part before finishing the accompaniment, just transpose it, print it, and carry on.

You always need to enter a key signature in the part you're going to transpose, even if it's just C major, or else the transposition won't show the new key signature.

Reply #4
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I now understand it