Skip to main content
Topic: Keyboard Entry (Read 3518 times) previous topic - next topic

Keyboard Entry

I prefer to enter a song as a row of crotches, and then make changes, add bar lines etc. I have done this for years in V 1.75.
However when using the screen keyboard in V 2.1, barlines are automatically added. This is a nuisance for me as I have to remove them and replace them where I want them to be, as I edit my score.
Is there anywhere I can select to have no barlines in keyboard entered music?

Re: Keyboard Entry

Reply #2
Thanks Randy - that has solved my problem

Reply #3
You're quite welcome.  Oh, and welcome to the forum.  You'll find quite a number of nice friendly folks to help out here.  :-)

Reply #4
jmh wrote
Is there anywhere I can select to have no barlines in keyboard entered music?

While it isn't an issue for me, since I don't use the k/b for note entry, it seems to me the default should be no bar lines on note entry.  It's a lot easier to add them than it is to remove them.

This is a nuisance for me as I have to remove them and replace them where I want them to be, as I edit my score.

Another way to remove the unwanted bar lines is to use the Find feature to find one, delete it, then use Find Again (F3) repeatedly.  Each time it lands on a bar line, hit Delete and move on to the next one.  It takes a little more time, but if the piece is only 3 or 4 minutes long, it's not really that much time or effort. 

Reply #5
Hey David - If you check out the tool tip, a simple fake time signature pretty much prevents the bar lines in the first place!

Reply #6
Hi Randy

Yes, I read that a day or so ago, thanks.  My point is that new users shouldn't need to seek a workaround to overcome a default behaviour when the default should probably be the opposite to what it is. The default behaviour should be no automatic bar lines on note entry, as it is when using the other (QWERTY) keyboard.

Reply #7
Agree with you on the default.  Just was hoping to stave off discussion on how best to remove added notes (lest someone brings up the "globalmod" user tool :-).